Red Line 10W30 vs. 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
need to know which one will provide the most protection (both Red Line) when my outside enviornmental temps. only reach the low 40*F during the winter. During the summer the temps. only reach the high 80*F.

Would a 10W30 flow fairly quickly at start-up compared to the 5W30? Remember this is going in a Ford engine where 5W20 is recommeded.

Thanks.
cheers.gif

I'm getting ready for my first oil change on my '03 Civic EX and in earlier posts I've said I was planning on using GC or M1 0 or 5W-30 but this RL 5W-20 has me confused.

This car lives in SoCal where the winter temps infrequently drop below 40 but the summer temps are near 100 if not over.

Is the GC too thick for this car? I like the high TBN because this is driven 3.5 miles one way to work and it's all stoplights. I'm also impressed with the ACEA ratings too. I've got cases of the stuff which I can use in my Explorer.

I mentioned M1 because it is a good oil but hey, I'm on the quest for the Holy Grail.

I've used RL products in the past and I like them but I can't find any info on their site other than the 5W-20 being a race oil. I understand that their site needs updating but is the 5W-20 a "street" oil and not a "race" oil without the detergents? I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a URL for the latest info i.e., TBN and viscosity.

I welcome all opinions on which oil I should use.

I did some checking on the RL Aus site and it lists the 100 degrees figure at 9.1! Almost 10% more than M1 0W-20.

Still, my search shows that there are no UOAs or VOAs on this oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
I did some checking on the RL Aus site and it lists the 100 degrees figure at 9.1! Almost 10% more than M1 0W-20.

Still, my search shows that there are no UOAs or VOAs on this oil.

I could be wrong but I thought at least one or two people on here were currently running Redline 5w20. It would definitely be interesting to see the UOA on it!

Run Redline 5w-20 and get the best of both worlds.

Flow and protection.

Thanks for all the imput, but would there really be a flowability isssue if the coldest it gets here in S.F. is 40*F? From what I know, 10W30 Red line flows better than a 5 weight anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back