Red line 10w30 in a 2007 Honda Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 4cyl. Accord has 78,000 miles. I have used Royal Purple 5w20 since 1st oil change. What do you think about using Red line 10w30 it it. I have 12 quarts and don't have a vehicle that I can put it in.

No worries AT ALL

If you were living in Australia, many parts of Europe, or the Middle East, you'd likely be running 10W40 already (or even some of the crazy xW-50/60 stuff those Down Under are fond of!) And the car probably wouldn't begin to notice.

(OK, a 60W oil is getting kinda silly, but I don't think anyone other than a Honda engineer can say whether or not it will actually cause your car any harm.)

Needless to say, I'll be happy to 'donate' a vehicle for your sadly
frown.gif
orphaned oil.
grin2.gif

If I wasn't on a budget, I'd have installed the very same in my car not two weeks ago.

Last edited:
It'll work fine, but it's overkill. Run it at least 10-12k miles to get the full value out of it.

The RL 5W20 oil is one stout oil as well. I agree with addyguy, run the 10W30 for an extended OCI and get your moneys worth.

AD

Originally Posted By: addyguy
It'll work fine, but it's overkill. Run it at least 10-12k miles to get the full value out of it.

At the rate the OP puts miles on his car that should be about 4 months!
crazy2.gif

I have run 10w30 full synthetic in my 01' Accord 4 cyl. during the summer months with no problems at all. The motor seems a bit quieter on 10w30. I would go at least 10 or 12K (maybe even 15K if its within 6 months) on the Redline.

In the summer it will be ok. In the winter I find the Accords have a pretty weak starting system, so I'd say thin even in Indiana.

FWIW, I'll be upgrading to the V6 battery probably this fall. ~10 bucks in parts for the new tray, plus the cost of the battery.

I have an '07 Accord 2.4, running Havoline Synth 10w-30 SL. It's nice and smooth. I don't know why someone would use specialty oils like RP and RL in a simple application like the 2.4 when dino works fine.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I have an '07 Accord 2.4, running Havoline Synth 10w-30 SL. It's nice and smooth. I don't know why someone would use specialty oils like RP and RL in a simple application like the 2.4 when dino works fine.

If dino works fine in Honda 2.4 for up to 10k miles, then why did you use Havoline Syn ?
cheers3.gif

I don't think you are really wondering why I used it, rather to put me on the spot about it. Falling back on the technicals, like I said, a SPECIALTY oil is not needed in this engine. Let's say I shurely did not pay $40 for a oil change worth, like those other oils cost. In fact, it was $2/q and is now the oldest oil in my stash. Lacking a stash, I shure would rather a $12/5q jug than that $8/q stuff.

I'm running the RP 15,000 miles. My wife drives over 100 miles a day round trip to work. With a good oil, I don't have to change oil all the time and get the added protection.

Too bad RP lacks the specs to back that up. The extra horsepower must be nice. (rolls eyes) I guess that plan somehow works better then running dino oil with only a few thousand miles on it, but isn't coloured purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back