Recycling tranny fluid to power steering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this may be a dumb idea, but I want to throw it out there. I did a pan drop and filter change a couple of weeks ago on my transmission. My system holds 9.3 quarts and I used 6qt on refill. Now today I'm going to drain what I can out through the installed drain plug and refill to get as much clean fluid as possible. At the same time I need to flush my power steering out and refill, both take atf+4. In order to save some cash and not want to be wasteful I figured I could just filter out the fluid from the tranny and use it in my power steering.
What does everyone think about this, bad idea, go spend the money for new stuff, or good idea, won't hurt anything... Thanks for the help!

Most power steering systems don't use that much fluid; I would NOT put in used fluid with unknown stuff from the transmission, filtered or not.
Kevin

Price out a PS pump and a steering rack.
Then ask yourself whether the reward justifies the risk.

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
Most power steering systems don't use that much fluid; I would NOT put in used fluid with unknown stuff from the transmission, filtered or not.
Kevin

Exactly.

My vehicles take anywhere from 150mL (Chev. S-10) to 200mL (Nissan PathFinder) to 325 mL for the V8 TrailBlazer to replace the fluid in the reservoir.

Thats 5 oz. (Chev. S-10) to 5.5 oz (Nissan PathFinder) to 10.25 oz.

Taking a contaminated fluid and trying to use in a cleaner environment is a bad idea.

Last edited:
I was just at Wal-Mart, and the power steering fluid was $3.27 a quart for W*M brand, and $4.27 for Prestone brand.

Even I'm not that cheap.

Well, kwooten31, after being roasted by everyone above, I would not do it in my vehicles but the tranny fluid would probably be fine for the PS in that the tranny probably dosnt run as hot as your PS does, so it might be in better shape.

I’m all for saving a buck when appropriate and preserving resources, but reapportioning that used fluid in this instance strikes me as false economy.

After having problems with my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid, I don't think I would ever buy a car with CVT again.

You could use the trans fluid and do a really good flush of the power steering then put in some new atf+4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back