Recycling GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This 5qt GC only ran for 4,912mi in my Passat 1.8T, taken out via an oil boy extractor. It saw 50/50 hwy/fwy for 8mos(Apr-Dec)using the huge Mannolator diesel filter L40316 and thinking of running it in my hi-mile 190E for 5k, using a new cartridge Purolator filter. This was my first post Auto-Rx treatment GC oil in this VAG engine.

Would you guys think it's ok/safe to recommission this good 'ol Green Elixir back into action? I got a surplus of these oil filters so I might do a two filter swap every 2-2.5k for the Benz..for approx a 10k total GC run.
dunno.gif

Hmm...sounds like a tough one...you did use a drain pan to drain the oil correct? If it is a virgin drain pan and is absolutely clean to the bone, then go ahead and throw it back in....but if that drain pan has been used...I'd throw the GC away cuz who knows what contaminents it got mixed with, when drained out...

this is all personal opinion...no scientific data to back my statement...so please correct me if i am wrong

IMO and it is just that an opinion, you'll also need to know what the remaining TBN and viscosity values are for the used oil. You don't want to put an used oil in for an OCI that has a depleted TBN or viscosity that is below spec for the application. Also you're starting out with an oil with elevated wear metals ppm values. The VW/Audi 1.8t is pretty hard on oil even GC so you might want to error on the side of caution.

Let me get this right... your going to put used oil in a high mileage engine?

Why?

Maybe if you took a UOA sample before you put the used oil in the engine, then base your OCI of the data from the UOA?

But really what is the point?

vwoom:
If you're the same guy who directed me to the location where I got those great oil deals on discontinued oil a while back---CHANGE the oil, because I know you have plenty of it!!!

Well, I figured with all the nice long oci uoas on GC, the low miles on said oil fill and using new filters would be doable...on a 190E that saw dino in all it's life.

This 5qt GC/1.8T fill btw is not as dirty black as previous 4qt fills(qt more using a larger filter)and did the "low tech" blot test..indicative as still good.
dunno.gif

axjohn, yep that was me
smile.gif

Yeah, I do have a lot(understated) of oil stashed. I'll just run an M1 EP15w50/0w20 aka "10w40" mix on the Benz..and dump them old, useless Elves
wink.gif

quote:

Yeah, I do have a lot(understated) of oil stashed. I'll just run an M1 EP15w50/0w20 aka "10w40" mix on the Benz..and dump them old, useless Elves [Wink]

Hey, better watch yer step....those are fightin' words I tell ya'.
itschy.gif

Hey, better watch yer step....those are fightin' words I tell ya'.

Heheheh..humor me, Junior.
tongue.gif

I'm loaded to the gills with GC..

Draw!
grin.gif

[ December 23, 2005, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back