recycling different types of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I store my old oil in a 10 gallon container and take it to the local landfill to recycle when full. My question is that the landfill takes used motor oil. Is it ok to to mix:

1. Transmission fluid
2. Power steering fluid
3. Brake fluid

in the same container to recycle?

Most all fluid is ok .

They normally don't like brake fluid mixed in.

CRW
patriot.gif

Around here, they'd prefer you leave out anything other than engine oil... most of the oil reclamation drops have signage stating something to the effect of: Please don't bring in motor oil mixed with large amounts of, p.s., tranny and brake fluid.

It depends on what is done with the oil. I take mine to the Valvoline oil change places. (I take my hat off to Valvoline for providing this community service).
patriot.gif
In talking with them they say it's okay to mix transmission fluid with the oil. What they DON'T want is volatiles and other lubricants in the mix. They say it presents a dangerous situation at the facility where I imagine they rework the fluid.

So I guess it's a good idea to present only used oil for recycling unless you know what you're doing and you know the recycler's policy.

advance auto also accepts used oil, but all i've ever taken is motor oil. tractor supply company (TSC) also takes used oil.

fruit.gif

(i just put this little fella in cause he's so cute!)

quote:

Originally posted by tweeker43:
advance auto also accepts used oil, but all i've ever taken is motor oil. tractor supply company (TSC) also takes used oil.

fruit.gif

(i just put this little fella in cause he's so cute!)

They won't take ATF oil. However they take mine bc I mix it with the motor oil. There is no earthly reason why they shouldn't take it except for the fact that by just specifying moror oil they eliminate other things (maybe
rolleyes.gif
) that folks may dump in with it.

Our mechanic shop at work keeps a 1000 gallon container for used oil. According to the recycler....PS fluid, tranny fluid, hydraulic fluid and oil are all fine. They don't want any glycol fluids though (antifreeze, brake fluid).

No kidding.

Mobil could have used that crap mixture for making new M1.

quote:

Originally posted by BIGJ552000:

quote:

dumped it in the crick cause the recyclers wouldn't take it

Now That's just plain STUPID
mad.gif
I hope you where joking
banghead.gif

Come on guys, lighten up. Of course I was joking.

I have never endorsed dumping used oil in my or anyone else's creek.
shocked.gif

[ October 17, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back