Recycled/Re-refined Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know of a synthetic oil available in the US that's made from re-refined oil? I've read about WM ST Syn possibly being a re-refined oil, but cannot find a definative answer. I just bought a case of Eco-Power recycled oil for my Explorer, but am a little hesitant to use it in my turbo Volvos.

Check with Safety-Kleen. The DO make a re-refined synthetic, and in Canada, that oil is Wal-Marts 'Supertech Synthetic'.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Really? For sure?
I have no problems with the idea, but is this a fact for all Supertech full Synthetic oil?

Canadian Super Tech and USA Super Tech are from different manufacturers.

Yeah, US Supertech Syn is not a re-refined oil, just the Canadian stuff is.

My point was call up S-K and ask them how/where you maybe can get it in the US.

Originally Posted By: ryansmith219
Anyone know of a synthetic oil available in the US that's made from re-refined oil? I've read about WM ST Syn possibly being a re-refined oil, but cannot find a definative answer. I just bought a case of Eco-Power recycled oil for my Explorer, but am a little hesitant to use it in my turbo Volvos.

Why would you hesitate? Does it meet the required specs? Recycled oil is just as good as new due to the refinement process.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: ryansmith219

Why would you hesitate? Does it meet the required specs? Recycled oil is just as good as new due to the refinement process.

I hesitate only because of the turbos in the Volvos. I prefer a synthetic oil to deal with the added heat, and although nowhere does it say I have to use synthetic I just feel better using it on the 7500 mile ocis.

Here is your answer as to why Re-refined oil is not on the shelves:

Here is a comment from John Cutshall from Safety-Kleen as to why re-refined oil is not available in retail stores. He sent this to me 1.2.2009:

The real problem with retail marketing of our products is that there is little demand.

With low demand, it is impossible to get any retail outlets to stock the products.

Any time somebody goes into a parts store for oil, they are either looking for a name brand or the cheapest quart there. We do not offer either product.

"If you talked with Safety-Kleen in Waco, they do not distribute the America's Choice lubricants.

We have distributors in Ft. Worth, Fredericksburg and Gonzales.

These distributors do supply our government customers or sell our products as housebrand.

I'm sorry that I can not offer much hope of retail availability, but over the last 10 years, the State of California has spent tens of millions of dollars trying to generate retail demand for rerefined lubricants with little success.

With the economy down and State budgets being in the red, there will not be any support from those areas.

Thanks for your interest in our products."

Straight from Mr. Cutshall/Safety-Klean Regional Manager for Texas and the Western half of the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back