Recycled oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do they do with all that used up recycled oil? With millions of gallons out there they have to use it on something don't they? Does it get turned back into cheap "store brand" motor oil or what?

It might be re-refined and made into lubricating oils that meet the same specifications as non-recycled motor oil. Perhaps it will be processed and burned in special furnaces for heat, or used in power plants to generate electricity for homes, schools and businesses.

Many government agencies use it. California Highway Patrol and LA City plus too many to mention.

Crude is a whole lot nastier than what comes from Jiffy lube.

Used motor oil is not waste and can be reprocessed efectively. It can be reprocessed and run again very well.

Recycle
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
[QB]
Does it get turned back into cheap "store brand" motor oil or what?

No, the stuff that gets "rerefined" gets turned into expensive fleet use motor oil.
grin.gif
Who uses these fine and expensive products?? .

The US Military make a lot of noise about recycled oil that meets MIL-PRF2104G for their combat and tactical ground vehicles, basically high quality HDEO.

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
According to the tabloids, most old oil is used by Britney Spears and Christina Aguilara in their various sexual escapades. I have no reason to doubt them.

LOL, on the morning parody show on the radio they were referring to Britney's wedding plans.
* She's bough a wash'n'wear wedding dress.
* Bought a new bedside book. It's title "Visitors".

TN I am not a guru but my department (Indiana State Police) uses Americas Choice 5W30 in our CVPI's. Seems to work just fine. My 2001 that was retired from duty in July had 107,000 miles on the clock. OCI's are 5k. It used about 1/2 quart in 5k and that was always in the last 1,000 miles or so.It must have done a good job over 3 years. We've used this oil for many years. The 55 gallon drums it comes in shows SL GF-3 rating.

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:
What do they do with all that used up recycled oil? With millions of gallons out there they have to use it on something don't they? Does it get turned back into cheap "store brand" motor oil or what?

The bulk of it winds up in heating oil.

A small percentage is "rerefined" into motor oil.

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
TN I am not a guru but my department (Indiana State Police) uses Americas Choice 5W30 in our CVPI's. Seems to work just fine. My 2001 that was retired from duty in July had 107,000 miles on the clock. OCI's are 5k. It used about 1/2 quart in 5k and that was always in the last 1,000 miles or so.It must have done a good job over 3 years. We've used this oil for many years. The 55 gallon drums it comes in shows SL GF-3 rating.

Thanks for the reply. If it's good enough for you guys it would be great for the truck at work. I'd love to see a VOA on this stuff.
smile.gif

Mickey's answer is closest to being correct. My brother-in-law works for a local oil company that performs this 're-refining' process and then sells the vast majority of the finished product as heating oil. The guy that owns the company is filthy rich!

Cheers,
Ashley
cheers.gif

Other than rerefining, used oil is used for:
43% asphalt plants
14% industrial boilers (factories)
12% utility boilers (electric power plants for schools, homes, etc.)
12% steelmills
5% cement/lime kilns
5 % marine boilers (tankers or bunker fuel)
4% pulp and paper mills
2% Britney & Christina sexual escapades
http://www.recycleoil.org/Usedoilflow.htm

Used oil that is properly re-refined by hydrotreating and other modern processes is as good as ordinary motor oil. There is a processing cost savings in energy consumption in the refinery.

Used oil that is cheaply processed through filters until it looks clean and then re-additized is a very poor motor oil.

Heavy industrial fuel oil (#6 fuel oil, Bunker C, IFO 380, etc.) needs "cutter stock" to mix in to achieve the desired specific gravity, flash point, etc. Cutter stock can be anything cheap that burns. Used motor oil is often used for this purpose.

I think the use of rerefined oil by government agencies is a political statement. any used oil not burned in industrial boilers is made up by virgin fuel oil--the boilers need the same amount of fuel whatever the fuel is.

Ken

Not that I'm actually tempted to use the stuff, but I am curious about one thing: how does the "re-refiner" control the viscosity of its product? The used oil would seem to be a witches brew of multiple different vis grades, spiced up with ATF, gear lube, and other substances one would not expect to see in a healthy motor oil.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Not that I'm actually tempted to use the stuff, but I am curious about one thing: how does the "re-refiner" control the viscosity of its product? The used oil would seem to be a witches brew of multiple different vis grades, spiced up with ATF, gear lube, and other substances one would not expect to see in a healthy motor oil.

So you have a mixture of 0, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, and who knows what else just like in crude oil. First step is to boil it away capturing different fractions that boil in a narrow range. The lower molecular weight stuff comes off first (gasoline, diesel, water), and then each higher range. Most of the additives will stay behind along with sludge and wear metals. You may have to measure the VI to know how much VII to add to hit any given range. Maybe just sell each fraction as what ever it measures. Sort of like melting down a batch of scrap and letting the lab decide what grade of brass it is or what to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back