recreational oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
The term "recreational oil changer" was coined to define people that change their oil far more than necessary because they actually enjoy doing it. It's easy to understand the psychology behind the recreational oil changing. It's the visceral feel of the tools, the victory when that old oil filter breaks free, the hot dirty oil pouring out, the joy of oiling of the gasket on the new filter, that new copper or fiber gasket on the drain plug, the clean clear oil going in, and the sense of accomplishment when you start the car, the oil light comes on for a moment, then goes out. For $20-50 in oil and parts, it's pretty cheap entertainment, but if people would be content to do it only when it provides some benefit to the vehicle it would be better.
That apply to majority people on this forum.

You and your "psychological theories"!
mad.gif
You know nothing. Having clean, strong running engines is the lifeblood of the soul of the heartland of the United States of America. Whether or not we consume exorbitant amounts of imported petroleum and burn it off into the atmosphere is really none of your concern, Mr. "I'm from Portugal". It's my engine/body/life, and I'll do what I want. Good day sir.

No insult was intended, just a wake up call...
PS.but your reaction to my post was rather a "redneck style" sir.

You have a good point atlantic1. Ever since I came to BITOG I have been working on extending oil change intervals. Haven't made great progress, but my best yet was 5200 miles. That is pretty good for a 25-year committed 3000 mile changer. But even when I changed every 3000 (or less) I never did it for recreation, but truly felt it was needed. Though I admit, the joy of the drainout and especially the pleasure of refilling are hard to beat. You can add to your fun by prefilling the filter.

johnsmith: Like you, I am burning off as much fuel as I please, but the fact is it is everybody's problem since the exhaust goes into the common atmosphere. Still, I enjoy driving my Ford truck to the point that I spend about $23 a week on fuel to drive to work when my employer would pay my bus fare and the bus stop is near my house. To each his own.

Guilty as charged.

It's early january in canada and I started up my lawn mower to warm it up so I could change the oil last weekend.

The problem is, I changed it 1 mow ago back in september. At least it's only half a quart, and I'm going 5k miles on my cars now. My best yet is 6k miles on my wife's car on M1.

My name is Jim....and I'm a recreational oil changer.

I absolutely agree with you!
This 3000 miles oil intervals stated on the labels of most american oil brands are not for protecting American folks engines, but for protecting big oil corporation pockets not to loose market and money.Even the dino new generation oils L or M class not mention synthetics go far beyond 5000 miles and no other country in the world recommend that .I remember in 1970 Italian automakers recommended oil change every 10000 km(6000 miles)and these old FIAT, Lancia and Alfa Romeos run well tiil now...

I'm not a recreational oil changer.. more of a recreational tinkerer. I pop the hood just to look - make sure everything seated, tight etc. The neighbors probably thinks our cars are piles of junk.. oh well keeps people from stealing em.

$20-50 in oil and parts? What kind of oil are you using?

By the way I think johnsmith was attempting satire. I hope so anyway.

- Glenn

atlantic1, I don't think the majority of people here (on BITOG) change their oil "too" often...maybe a lot of us did BEFORE joining this site, simply because we didn't know any better. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of us do much more appropriate OCIs now that we've been here a while and have a better understanding of proper lubrication and filtration.

I used to change my oil religiously at 3,000 miles, not because I enjoyed it, but because I really thought I was doing the most good. Now that I know better, I've stretched it to 5,000 miles. I would go longer, but my current car is highly modified from stock and I think 5,000 miles is appropriate.

The fact that I enjoy doing my own work and the sense of accomplishment it creates is merely icing on the cake.

I do agree that 3,000-miles OCIs are a waste of precious natural resources and the only benefit is to the oil companies bank accounts...I try to educate my friends about this, but not all of them are as smart as we are...
grin.gif

I have no idea what you're talking about! Besides, I can quit 3,000 mile OCI's anytime I want. You're the one with the problem!

Oh, I agree. I grew up hearing 3000 miles/3 months as the target, and I did that on all my cars until I came to BITOG and realized that in 3 months I only drive about 2400 miles. Wasteful.

That said, I'm looking forward to my car's next oil change in February. I already have the oil and filter, so no excuse to go shopping . . . darn . . .

Ah, that sense of accomplishment . . . not to mention the bovine stares from co-workers when you tell them you changed your oil this weekend. "You change it yerself?!?"

-- Paul W.

You've described me perfectly, although I'm in recovery after being here for a while. I actually go 5000 miles in my truck and the wife's car now but I was nervous as **** after 3000 until I got a few UOA's to reassure me. Couldn't sleep at night. The wife would rub my back and tell me it's alright, hang in there.
Dad's Caddy gets Mobil 1 and now I let the OLM get pretty low. 4% and 11.2k last time.
Mom's Caddy, M1 once a year, OLM about 30%. Gonna try Max Life this time to see if it slows the oil burning.
My work van I still change every 3000 mostly for fun but it's old and needs all the help it can get, besides that's still only two or maybe three times a year.

Well, it can't be a blanket statement about 3K OCI's being too short. Look at the UOA section. There are some oil manufacturers out there that don't make it to 3K.
Hi. I'm Schmoe.....and I have a oil problem (and then gets a group hug from all the members)

Nice job Jim74 on catching that plagiarist! (Seriously, not giving credit for someone else's writing is the same as claiming it for yourself, and thus stealing.) I suppose changing out the "$8-10" for "$20-50" reflects a European interpretation in the translation. Interesting twist.

For $20-50 in oil and parts, it's pretty cheap entertainment, but if people would be content to do it only when it provides some benefit to the vehicle it would be better

This statement implies there is no benefit to frequently changing your oil, and the more often you change your oil, the fewer the benefits. I'm sorry but I don't see how frequent oil changes can harm your engine, or at least provide NO benefits.

No insult was intended, just a wake up call...

And why does it seem that people from all over the world seem to think Americans need a "wake up call"?

No insult intended? Riiiiiight.
thumbsdown.gif

why is $20 - $50 so far out there. of course you would have to be using synthetic to get that kind of cost (unless you had a diesel)

in a 5 qt sump
$5/qt * 5 = $25 + $5 (filter) = $30 (oil in qts)
$4/qt * 5 = $20 + $5 = $25 (oil in 5 qt jugs)
$6.5/qt * 5 = $32.50 + $15 = $47.50 (amsoil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back