Record rainfall

What a wild summer, After 67 days of no measurable rainfall (I didn't get any)......We get 9.19 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. My rain gauge says 8.75 inches.

Thankfully my house isn't in a flood prone area, My wife works for a Water Mitigation/Restoration company (Similar to Servpro) as a Estimator & I haven't seen her for 24 hours, See says it's REALLY bad with 1000's of flooded homes & businesses. She also said there isn't enough people or equipment to get these structures "Flood Cut" & dried out before Mold sets in. Other companies will be sending crews from out of state but it will be to little to late

Last edited:
We have been very dry up here in Kentucky. A friend of mine wrote to me 3 weeks ago asking if I could send Dallas some of our rain. The storms just seem to split and go around us here. Glad you are dry

We had a pretty good storm roll through here last night. It dumped a fair amount of rain. I looked out the front door, and water was cascading off the garage roof like a waterfall. It lasted about a half hour, and that was it.

Just long enough to give everything a good washing off. I have a skylight in my guest bathroom, and it sounded like someone was blasting it with a firehose.

We have had record amounts of rain here in Manitoba this year, Thursday morning at 4:30am my street had about 14" of standing water on it, I've never seen ANY standing water in the 19 years I've lived on the street. Had to move the kids cars of the road or they would have been flooded. This spring had record rainfall and it keeps hitting us on and off all summer. Lots of flooded basements in my area last week.

Two days ago, just six miles from me, 4-5 inches fell in less than two hours. As you can guess, flash flooding. I lucked out with only two inches coming down in less than two hours. I'm in N.Ohio.

Last edited:
It’s been what I call normal here in SW Georgia. In fact, it’s more like it was when I was a child. We are getting afternoon thunderstorms. That is something we haven’t experienced in a while.

Dry summer for us so far.
Same … but rains have started coming and they are most welcome this week …
So far so good over the GoM … but then there’s September - hopefully not more than a TS with some good rain …

Last edited:
We've had a dry summer here in Upstate NY so far. As of the last two days, we have hit the rainy season. So now it's raining. A lot. I think yesterday we got two inches of rain.

Nothing compared to TX though. I can't imagine 14'' of rain at once!

What a wild summer, After 67 days of no measurable rainfall (I didn't get any)......We get 9.19 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. My rain gauge says 8.75 inches.

Thankfully my house isn't in a flood prone area, My wife works for a Water Mitigation/Restoration company (Similar to Servpro) as a Estimator & I haven't seen her for 24 hours, See says it's REALLY bad with 1000's of flooded homes & businesses. She also said there isn't enough people or equipment to get these structures "Flood Cut" & dried out before Mold sets in. Other companies will be sending crews from out of state but it will be to little to late
Even down here near the coast - it’s the water doing more damage than winds …

We've had a dry summer here in Upstate NY so far. As of the last two days, we have hit the rainy season. So now it's raining. A lot. I think yesterday we got two inches of rain.

Nothing compared to TX though. I can't imagine 14'' of rain at once!
Even beyond what hurricanes have brought us … a few years back we had two systems collide and stall … 17” in 5.5 hours … my buddy who’s the CAT manager brought me a bunch of SpeedyDry and I ****ed the doors mainly from the wake of idiots in jacked up trucks … Only the garage took on water …

The storms just seem to split and go around us here.
Same here. I love to sit outside when rain is on it's way with my radar app on my phone and more times than not it gets about 20 miles from us and starts breaking up and goes north and south. I've even watched it rejoin once it's past us a few times. I truly believe it's from our location, we are just a mile northwest of where two rivers combine, one runs almost straight west on the south side of town and the other comes into town on the north side.

I'm about 10 miles East of DFW Airport the official measuring point, and "only" got 4 3/4" of rain which is plenty I ain't complaining. The area where I grew up in NE Dallas around White Rock Lake reported 15"! I am glad it's all pretty much downhill from my house. City Hall would be completely under water before it ever got up to my front step. Now, to the grass mowing. I kept it green enough all summer to keep it from becoming a fire hazard. Now it's growing like crazy. Time to crank up the Honda. It's always something.

Back