Record Cold Weather this Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Days like this I am so glad I moved to Florida.
Everyone in the cold stay safe and warm.

Originally Posted by HighbrowHillbill
Do you not have a winter cold front cover on your car? Or if not that what about the cardboard trick? Should be more than worth the little effort......
A plastic shroud covers everything and the electric fans are part of the shroud.

I thought I might be able to slide a slice of cardboard up from underneath, but no dice there, either.

Oh well. Tomorrow will be a toasty -23°C/-9°F, so all's well.

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Originally Posted by HighbrowHillbill
Do you not have a winter cold front cover on your car? Or if not that what about the cardboard trick? Should be more than worth the little effort......
A plastic shroud covers everything and the electric fans are part of the shroud.

I thought I might be able to slide a slice of cardboard up from underneath, but no dice there, either.

Oh well. Tomorrow will be a toasty -23°C/-9°F, so all's well.

It really bugs me that they have made these newer vehicles so much less........tinker-able. Last rig I had to do the cardboard trick on was a Jeep Wrangler. It worked great, tons of room to just slide a piece of cardboard in. My dodge I have the winter cold front for and I haven't seen cold enough temps with the Infiniti to warrant giving it a shot. Come to think of it IIRC the front of our QX56 is completely incased as you described. I'd probably hang a large doubled over black towel in front of all the coolers etc. and zip tie it in place.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I'm thinking your thermostat might not be closing all the way, but yes, we used to keep cardboard in there all winter and forget about until spring in Saskatchewan. The classier guys would hang an old rug in front of the grill.
laugh.gif

That is a bit "HIGHBROW" isn't it?
lol.gif

Honestly the -30 windchill isn't bad as long as you have quality layers on and no skin exposed. If you're moving around I find you stay quite warm too.

We're not that cold here with around -2F this morning and about the same now.
We've seen much colder temperatures here.
Both rides started with no problems and took each of us to work.
I idled both in the driveway for around ten minutes to get a little heat going.

Got half a bottle of Mobil ATF 3309 in the garage on a shelf I often walk past. Sometime between a week ago and yesterday, when temps started to get quite a bit colder, with one day hitting -10F, it looks like the fluid came out of the top cap area and ran down the sides. It's sitting in front of a window that gets a little sun. I wiped the bottle off too quickly before thinking maybe it's moisture in the air turning into condensation on the outside of the bottle. That makes more sense than a half-full bottle of ATF leaking out of its top. Today was 8 degrees colder and it didn't sweat.

I put a quart of Quaker State 10w30 synthetic outside. And 2 ounces of Citgo 5w30 blend. -18F at the time. After 2-3 hours, both poured thicker than maple syrup, perhaps similar to somewhat warm honey. The QS poured a little better. It might not be a fair comparison since the QS was a full quart so maybe would thicken up more after more hours.

There's at least one or two comments around here of someone being disappointed in the cold weather thickness of the Citgo. Regardless, I wouldn't want to start a vehicle at -18F with either of them in it. Wouldn't want to start a vehicle at -18F no matter what oil is in it.

12 inches of snow the other day.
-18F yesterday and today.
-23F tonight into tomorrow.
Wind chills near -50. One nearby city posted a -55 wind chill today.
You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo.

This coming Sunday and Monday... balmy highs of 43. what?

Image 1400.jpg

That's what's crazy.
It was well below zero this morning but we'll see spring temperatures in a couple of days.
We will get maybe four inches of snow tonight, but that'll be gone just a day later.
We still have another month or so of potential winter delight to come, so we'll see what we get in February.
Bet we'll see another few days of real cold.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Because cold weather kills off weak batteries:

Technically, they were already dead. The heat killed their max output and when it's cold, output drops and a cold engine takes more amps to start than a warm one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back