Record burning software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I want to do. I'm wanting to hook the output of my home stereo receiver to my computer,to "record" records,cassette tapes,etc onto my computer so I can burn them onto cdrs,share them on music forums,etc. What's a good software program to buy,and where can I buy it? I'm also assuming I can buy cables that have RCA plugs on one end and USB plugs on the other to link my receiver to my computer.

Doesn't your computer have an analog input audio/mic jack? You can use that to feed sound into the computer. If it doesn't, then yes, you can buy a external/USB sound card with such an input.

As for software, there are plenty of free ones out there, Audacity for example, if you're using Windows.

Or you can skip all the above and just go to a site like mp3million and buy the songs you need for 9 cents a piece. They'll probably be in a lot better quality than what you have on your cassette tapes.

USB TURNTABLE

My next door neighbors actually have this, or an exact duplicate of it from BestBuy. They did close to 120 old/hard to find albums and it did work. I do not know if the included software removes clicks and hisses. Something to keep in mind as that gets awful distracting if you didn't grow up listening to LPs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Audacity for example, if you're using Windows.

Or Mac, or Linux, or BSD.
wink.gif

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

+3 on audacity.

You'll want to use an amp between your record player and sound card-- use its "tape out".

I actually got into ripping MP3s from vinyl pretty much a few years ago. It takes a bit of work to do it right. I ended up so enthused about it that I made a series of videos documenting the process, they pretty much cover the full process I used:

I mention in the notes that since ripping vinyl to MP3s is fairly laborious, it's best suited for records that never made it to digital, either that or you just have to enjoy the work as a hobby. I had a number of records that didn't make it to digital and I really enjoyed the work.

The only thing I would do different now from the videos is that I would now record the entire album side in one pass and split the recording into individual songs in the digital embodiment.

My grandfather used an iPad with some sort of app to record directly. I believe he use a 3.5mm to RCA jack adapter.

My guess though is PC will be easier to work with.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You'll want to use an amp between your record player and sound card-- use its "tape out".

You absolutely must do this; and that amp (between your record player and sound card) must be a phono pre-amp specifically. Vinyl records are pressed after being equalized in such a way as to allow for the needle to not jump off the disk due to the low end, and that low end must be re-EQ'd back in (The "RIAA curve") in order to sound proper. There'll be impedance and EQ issues a'plenty if you do not use the correct pre-amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back