recomment me filter that better then motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most of the more expensive ones do, Wix, Baldwin, M1, and Amsoil. Pure 1 and the Bosches don't. I think the only lower priced ones that do is the Motor Craft and Champ Ecores. No clue on the higher end Frams.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
Despite the marketing claims I would be surprised if the Puro classic is any better than the Motorcraft. I think they are essentially the same, certainly the same manufacturer.

What's strange is the Motorcraft FL-820S is rated at only 80% efficient at 20 microns ... but the Purolator Classics are rated at 97.5% efficient at 20 microns. Huge difference ... so the FL-820S must use different media even though it might be made by Purolator for Ford.

I'm wondering if all Motorcraft filters have the 80% efficiency, or is that just the FL-820S for some reason?

Originally Posted By: sayjac

And, contrary to what has been theorized on this thread, MC specs the 820S at 80% @ 20 microns . The Classic is rated @ 97.5% and river rats bench tests seem to confirm the latter.

Ah I see what you are saying. I went back and looked at the Classic and MC FL1A using the P1 as a reference since the Classic and MC were not done side by side. Classic looks a bit better than MC in river_rats' test. Not sure the test pictures support the giant leap down to 80% though. P1=99.9% PC=97.5% and MC=80%. Those are all 20 micron ratings right?

Yeah, I believe they are. The question(as Busa wonders), are all MC filters rated the same efficiency as the 820S? I haven't seen a definitive answer to that question. I still like the 820S construction, and think it is a decent filter for the money, especially in Ford applications.

I went back to walmart today to buy gallon of MMO, I stop by oil filter section and pick up FL400s and FL850S, after open the box, I PUT THEM RIGHT BACK DOWN, AND WALK AWAY !!!!!!!!!
frown.gif
, It dont felt the same as before any more. I stick with Pure one for every car I own from now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: labman
The Purolator classic is likely the same thing except with the done end bypass, a which Ford doesn't like. There is little evidence a better filter is better for your engine. I wold stick to Motor Craft or an Ecore. Otherwise, Look at Baldwin, M1, or other more expensive filters.

+1

What about flow i am to believe the pure one is great for summer use but in the winter when oils are thicker cold i like the purolator classic i think they should flow better ...Also the motorctaft 820s has very few threads that connect the filter to the engine... what does everyone think? I use motorcraft in my fords and purolator in my others....

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
What about flow i am to believe the pure one is great for summer use but in the winter when oils are thicker cold i like the purolator classic i think they should flow better ...Also the motorctaft 820s has very few threads that connect the filter to the engine... what does everyone think? I use motorcraft in my fords and purolator in my others....

I used a PureONE last winter with no issues and I'm using one now (Bosch) and still no problems at all. Instant oil pressure and my engine is very quiet.
55.gif
When I used one last winter my UOA came back excellent.

What about flow i am to believe the pure one is great for summer use but in the winter when oils are thicker cold i like the purolator classic i think they should flow better ...

I know the PureONE flows very well with hot oil. Purolator Senior Engineer provided bench test data showing a PL14006 (avg sized filter) flowed 12 GPM of 200 deg F 5w-30 and only produced a total of 5 PSID across the filter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

If you compared this flow vs PSID performance to 10 other top tier filters on the market, you will probably find that the PureONE flows better than most.

This also means it will flow better than those same comparative filters under the same cold conditions as those other filters. In other words, a filter that is say the #1 flower at hot conditions compared to 10 others will also be the #1 flower under cold conditions compared to the same 10 filters.

Originally Posted By: killagt
I stop by oil filter section and pick up FL400s and FL850S, after open the box, I PUT THEM RIGHT BACK DOWN, AND WALK AWAY !!!!!!!!!
frown.gif
Based on what? Purolator makes these filters to Ford's specifications. Do you think Ford would specify and sell inferior filters for their own cars? Then why have threaded-end bypass and silicone ADBV since they cost more?

i use motorcraft on my own engines but there is something that bothers me about them and that is the threads that attach the filter to the engine or i should say the lack of them.. there are too very few of them some other filters have double and a couple of other ones have triple the threads of the motorcraft

x2, i use them on my fairmont, and ive also noticed what you've mentioned. the 2-3 threads holding on the big fl-1a has made me worry a little bit, but nothings happened yet. my protec (generic wix) has more then twice as many threads as the motorcrafts ive seen

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: killagt
I went back to walmart today to buy gallon of MMO, I stop by oil filter section and pick up FL400s and FL850S, after open the box, I PUT THEM RIGHT BACK DOWN, AND WALK AWAY !!!!!!!!!
frown.gif
, It dont felt the same as before any more. I stick with Pure one for every car I own from now.
IMO, your reasoning on the choice is faulty. I went by the the Wally filter section yesterday to look at the new FL 400, it says the exact same thing on the box as the now not so new FL 820. As member Fordeisel illunminated with the 820, same media area, with more pleats. I will say the FL400 did the same to MC specs too as the 820.

The new FL400, like the 820, still looks and feels like a very substantial well made filter. I wouldn't pass it up because of the new size. That said, it's your money and your choice and one has to use what they are comfortable with. Also, the Pure One is a high quality filter at a very reasonable price.

As for all the limitations and restrictions in the original post, as SNL's (the late great Gilda Radner) Rosanne Rosannadanna used to say nevermind.

Not sure the test pictures support the giant leap down to 80% though.

Me either.

It is possible the 80% spec on the other website is outdated by now.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Not sure the test pictures support the giant leap down to 80% though.

Me either.

It is possible the 80% spec on the other website is outdated by now.

Yeah, that 80% efficiency @ 20 microns doesn't seem right. I'd sure like to know if there is any better information on the Motorcraft filter efficiency specs as I think the Motorcraft filters are well built.

Wonder if emailing Ford or their Motorcraft parts division would get any real answers?

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Wonder if emailing Ford or their Motorcraft parts division would get any real answers?

Couldn't hurt. After filtering with it, I'm not afraid to use it. Not the number I looked at anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back