recomment me filter that better then motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
But same price or little cost more, dont recomment me wix pls. I want filter the flow and performing better the motorcraft filter, have better anti-drain back valve or equal
25.gif

What you got is good. The alternative is the Purolator Classic for about 3 dollars and change, then you have the Fram extended guard if you are gonna run real synthetic all year. the XG is big bucks though - even at wally world.

The Purolator classic is likely the same thing except with the done end bypass, a which Ford doesn't like. There is little evidence a better filter is better for your engine. I wold stick to Motor Craft or an Ecore. Otherwise, Look at Baldwin, M1, or other more expensive filters.

Quote:
But same price or little cost more, dont recomment me wix pls. I want filter the flow and performing better the motorcraft filter, have better anti-drain back valve or equal
With all those limitations( price being tops), it seems as though you should stick with the Motorcraft. I'm not sure which app you are referring but the FL820-S has thread end bypass and silicone adbv, good features. Drawback is it's rated 80% efficient.

As mentioned, Puro Classic is more efficient at 97.5% with nitril adbv and dome end bypass, but would be close in price. IMO, the bypass location is not a big deal.

Motorcraft filters do seem to work well in Ford products. With normal OCI's up to 5k they should be ok.

EDIT: I like Pure One also, but depending on MC app, it will be more expensive.

Last edited:
I think the OP is looking for filters in the $3-4 range (MC filter is $3.67). The Motorcraft will be hard to beat in that price. Despite the marketing claims I would be surprised if the Puro classic is any better than the Motorcraft. I think they are essentially the same, certainly the same manufacturer. Some of the suggestions are better filters but at almost twice the price or in some cases more than twice. I don't know that any have a better ADBV.

I guess I'm confused. Is there something wrong with Motorcraft? It's one of the better filters out there regardless of price. I'm not sure there is a better filter for < $4.

Everything I've seen has shown Motorcraft filters to be very good filter, and amongst the best price to performance wise.

If you want to use a Pure One you can get them in pairs from Amazon.com, and if you've got an order over $25 shipping is free. Then use the Purolator rebate to get a few more bucks back. For my car the filters come out to under $3 each, but I don't know how much your filters would be.

Personally, if I was getting a Motorcraft filter for under $4 from local shop, I'd keep doing that. They're solid filter, you don't have to deal with a rebate, and you're keeping a few bucks in your community.

FL820S and FL400s is what I try to replace, tell me this, why do they make it shorter, its still performing the same as old version of both of these filter ?

Many here have commented, including a very recent thread on the MC400, that it makes these filters much easier to install. Can't speak to the 400 but the 820 is said to have the same media area with more pleats.

Some may have other conspiratorial theories, I'll stay out of that.

And, contrary to what has been theorized on this thread, MC specs the 820S at 80% @ 20 microns . The Classic is rated @ 97.5% and river rats bench tests seem to confirm the latter.

That said, the FL 820-S is all my son has used on his Explorer with dealer oil changes.

I wouldnt worry about it unless desiring to jump in price range to an M1 filter or a pure 1.

i use motorcraft on my own engines but there is something that bothers me about them and that is the threads that attach the filter to the engine or i should say the lack of them.. there are too very few of them some other filters have double and a couple of other ones have triple the threads of the motorcraft

Has anyone ever done UOA with different filters, but the same oil, to see if the different filtering media makes any difference?

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
With all those limitations( price being tops), it seems as though you should stick with the Motorcraft.

Yes, under the confines of you conditions, there isn't a better filter for you.

Sorry, you're a prisoner of MC.
frown.gif

I like Pure One, and they can be had with the OC specials at AAP or Auto Zone. Amazon.com runs some two pack deals on them too. Good filters for the money IMO.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

And, contrary to what has been theorized on this thread, MC specs the 820S at 80% @ 20 microns . The Classic is rated @ 97.5% and river rats bench tests seem to confirm the latter.

Ah I see what you are saying. I went back and looked at the Classic and MC FL1A using the P1 as a reference since the Classic and MC were not done side by side. Classic looks a bit better than MC in river_rats' test. Not sure the test pictures support the giant leap down to 80% though. P1=99.9% PC=97.5% and MC=80%. Those are all 20 micron ratings right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back