Recommended top-off oil for shell rotella 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic oil since yesterday and have put on about 300 miles with no sign of oil loss. But in the event that I do starte losing some of it would adding a high-moly oil like Redline 10w30 to it have any benefit over just adding more rotella? The rotella seems to be a very good oil, keeping the engine running smoothly and quietly.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
I have been running Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic oil since yesterday and have put on about 300 miles with no sign of oil loss. But in the event that I do starte losing some of it would adding a high-moly oil like Redline 10w30 to it have any benefit over just adding more rotella? The rotella seems to be a very good oil, keeping the engine running smoothly and quietly.

If the Rotella seems to be working well, why would you want to dilute it with anything else?
confused.gif
If you need to add oil, just add more Rotella. Mixing different brands of oil, while it won't hurt your engine, should only be done when necessary, i.e., when you have to top off and don't have a bottle of what's already in there.

[ November 21, 2002, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

excellent, the rotella is working well. I was just worried about the lack of moly. I thought moly was supposed to be good for the engine.

--Matt

quote:

excellent, the rotella is working well. I was just worried about the lack of moly. I thought moly was supposed to be good for the engine.

Moly is good if it's part of the overall blend of the oil that you're using. Trying to come up with your own "blend" by mixing moly and non-moly oils would not be a good idea. The additives in an oil are designed to work together and mixing brands could actually reduce the effectiveness of some of the additives in any given brand's oil.

If you REALLY want to add moly, add about 1/2 pint (250 mL) of Schaeffer's #132. Doesn't put a lot of moly into the oil, but has extra ingredients and quite a bit of another AW additive.

I have been testing it in synthetic oils with good results.

[ November 21, 2002, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

where can I get it and should I benefit from adding it? I do drive the car prety hard on streets but the majority of my mileage(at least 80%) is highway. Should that keep the engine a bit better protected?

--Matt

quote:

where can I get it and should I benefit from adding it? I do drive the car prety hard on streets but the majority of my mileage(at least 80%) is highway. Should that keep the engine a bit better protected?

Why don't you just run the Rotella for a few thousand miles and see how it does before you start adding other variables? You go dumping additives in there, and then something happens, and you're going to be asking "Was it the Rotella? Or was it the moly?"

FWIW and IMO, if you're using a good oil, you don't need extra additives. Period.

aah, I must agree, the rotella is a very solid oil. I'll just stick with it to 6k, them maybee more next time.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back