Recommended oil for a jeep 4.0 with 110,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 jeep wrangler 4.0 with 110,000 miles. I bought it used so I have no idea what kind of oil the previous owner used. I do know the valve train looked spotless when I replaced the valve cover gasket. Anyhow I have been looking around on this site trying to figure out what brand of oil to use. Can anyone tell me what brands of oils produce the lowest wear numbers in the 4.0 engine. I would like to use a 10w-30w. I don't really care if its synthetic, high mileage or dino since I'm not planning on extended oil drain intervals, I'm an old school 3,000-4,000 mile oil change guy. What I'm looking for is an oil that produces the lowest wear numbers with a good cleaning package. Thanks.
Sorry everyone this is my first time posting on this site, I should have been in the UOA Gasoline section...............

Last edited:
Quaker State Defy 10w-30 . My 4.0L loves it and if you had to design a oil specifically for the 4.0L Defy is it.

Some people also like 15W40 or 5W40. I am using Rotella T6 in my Jeep currently. UOA for T6 should be available in a day or two, Polaris has it, but not finished with the analysis.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Any 10w30 and the engine should outlast the jeep as long as a piston does not break or the 0331 head cracks.

^This. To the OP, do a little research on the problems that some of these 4.0 engines had (or have). While the problems were not on a massive scale, when it happens to you, it just feels like it. The oil advice given here is good and the engine will do fine on just about any oil that is recommended here.
BTW, I own two 4.0 Jeeps.

Hey, thanks to everyone for the quick responses. It sounds like I have five or six good quality oils to choose from. Seems like the 4.0 gets a lot or write ups on this site! Thanks again.

10w-30 ST dino. At 3-4k miles, it will do everything any other expensive product will do. I have run ST dino out to 15k miles and get excellent results. At 4k miles max, there is zero reason to think it would not be everything that the big brand names would be, and for a lot less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back