Recommended Oil for 4000-Mile Trip on 5.3L LS Gen III Truck Eng

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3600 to 4000-mile summer trip planned. I'll be driving down from Anchorage, Alaska, via the Alaska-Canada Hwy, to Wisconsin and will driving 8 to 12-hour days. The vehicle driven is a nice 2006 Silverado with a 5.3L LS Generation III Engine (no salt used in Alaska). The truck's 5.3L is a newer crate engine and only has about 50,000 miles on it. Overall mileage on the truck is around 175K. The truck GVWR will be close to being maxed, if not maxed. I will not be towing a trailer...

What oil to use? I was thinking a 5W-30 or a 10W-30... either QSUD (either weight) or possibly Delo 400 XLE 10W-30. QSUD is 6094M-rated; the SN-rated Delo is not. Recommendations please. I will order through Wal-mart and pick-up.
Have both Fram Ultra Synthetic and Purolator Boss oil filters on-hand. The Boss might go on since it has a thicker filter casing... gravel could be issue in the western part of the Yukon Territory. That's the last place a breakdown should occur.

- Transmission fluid recently replaced. It's okay.
- Rear-diff fluid will be replaced with Mobil1 75W-90 LS.
- Front diff fluid doesn't need replacement till next fall or winter.
- Transfer case fluid will be changed with AutoTrak II.
- Plugs and plug wires will be replaced.
- The front-end zerks will be greased before heading down.
- Truck has new BFG All-Terrain KO2's mounted this past winter (C-load, LT265/70R17) -- they're like new.
- Current Bilstein shocks have around 85K to 90K miles on them...

The full-size spare is in good order. Besides the usual tool kit, fluids, etc, what other truck maintenance suggestions does the group have for an uneventful trip?
Please note: I've driven up and down the Alaska-Canada Highway 5 times already. I don't need advice on the trip itself.
wink.gif

Thanks in advance.

SteveG4

Last edited:
If you like the Delo XLE, try it. LS engines are famously pretty easy on oil, so it is not a very difficult choice. The Delo is API SN/SN+ plus ACEA E6/E9 plus has some serious HDEO certs, so it should fare well.

I have a slightly older, SN-only (no plus) VOA I just had done a couple months back. I used it in my old Odyssey and it was very quiet.

Yeah... the Delo 10W-30 seems like it would hold up well over the many LONG days on end. That's the thought anyway.

BTW, between Alaska and the Lower-48, the outside temps could vary between 50 and 90-degs F.
smile.gif

Last edited:
5W-30 or 10W-30 in the Spring/Summer, doesn't matter. I'd like 0W-30 in that vehicle in that engine in the winter personally.

Its not a DI engine, so change oil more often than spec'ed by the manual to your heart's delight. Although probably not necessary.

Have a great drive through Canada. Do you go through Fort St. John, or do you go up through Prince George, and Terrace? Canadian gas prices are absolutely and utterly horrible these days so even a sub-optimal routing can still save on fuel until you're forced to go north.

Edit: hit up a Canadian Esso/Mobil lubricants distributor and buy a few cases of Mobil Delvac 222 Elite 0W-30 if you have the chance... Excellent oil, descendant from the famous XD-3 line, and very inexpensive for full PAO Group 4 synthetic with HDEO additive package.

Any oil will handle that trip. I would go with Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30 and change 1000 miles before as well as put a long life coolant in. Reason for the early oil change as well as coolant is never take a trip right after in case of worst case ie oil leaks or air in coolant. That oil spec is outdated and Dexos spec took its place so any Dexos would work. If you want conventional oil then Valvoline Daily Protection 5w30 which is a blend will work which claim 10k is possible. I would also check air filter and even bring one with you for those dusty conditions you may encounter. Just my suggestion.

The trip would take my family through Whitehorse, Fort Nelson, Fort St John, Dawson Creek, Grand Prairie, Whitecourt, Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, and crossing back into the States at Sweet Grass, MT. Will likely stop into Bozeman to see my #1 sister, then head east on I-90 see the sights along the way as we wind our way back to Wisconsin. It'll be a LONG trip!

Last edited:
Tiger862,

Very good on the coolant. That's changed out easily enough.

BTW, I use Valvoline Advanced in my little Equinox. That DEXOS-rated full syn does well on shorter oil changes in that DI engine. The Equinox likes to burn it after about 4500-miles though. Heck... it likes to burn most oils after 4000 to 4500 miles. Have NO IDEA why.

It is my indication that it NEEDS changed out though!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveG4
BTW, between Alaska and the Lower-48, the outside temps could vary between 50 and 90-degs F.
smile.gif

Have no fear, the Delo has a pour point of -51*F (I know, I know, pour point is of limited value), and is still plenty thick at 100*C!

Dave1251,

No viscosity index improvers (VII) is such a mono-grade oil? I wonder what the HTHS is on such oil?

If the trip isn't going to get cold, that could be something.

Last edited:
I've run Chevron Supreme up/down the Al-Can in another similar GM 5.3L truck. It did just fine. It was 5w-30 and was -20 and -25 degs F during a winter trip from Washington State to Alaska!

Honestly, I was looking for a potentially more temperature and sheer resistant oil for these LONG summer driving days -- for days on end. That's all...

Maybe it doesn't matter?

Last edited:
I'll check out the Mobil Delvac 222 Elite 0W-30 if time permits in either Edmonton or Calgary.

Those long driving days are pretty easily on oil. It doesn't really matter what oil you use, just pick a name brand synthetic and a high quality filter. Depending on how far you go into Alaska, you might want to get a bra or clear cover for the front of your truck and something to protect the lights.

Last edited:
My Alaskan truck already has over 100,000-miles driving the state's roads. It's already pock-marked from gravel and such!
It's already had several windshields...

That reminds me... I will purchase a high/low-beam and taillight bulbs and stash it/them in the truck for the drive down.
smile.gif

Last edited:
May want to give a check on the U joints. A family members burban had one fail at 165k, the other shortly after. A little time consuming but very inexpensive to replace. An extremely worn U joint can take out the yoke.

I used to make a trip annually with that kind of miles (South Carolina to Duluth) and never gave a second thought to the oil in the pan. I was (still) using Mobil1 HM 10w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back