Recommended me some oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think you should get them gauges. In my car, I reach 275-280 oil temps, 5 laps into a session at Portland Int. Raceway. Oil pressure will be 10-15psi lower after a session from the normal cruising pressures. I dont think I could bring myself to track my car without any gauges installed. My 1st time on a roadcourse, my hot idle oil pressure was right around 5psi while letting the car idle to cool the turbo after a 25 minute session. I was using Amsoil series 2000 0w30 then. I have since switched to redline 10w40 when I hit the track. Hot idle stays above 20psi on the 10w40

Last edited:
^What car is that with? 5psi to 20psi hot seems like quite a difference. I'll have to find out what to look for and what the right psi is for my engine... The Grassroots Motorsports article "slippery slope" did a great job of explaining the temperature gauge readings, I wish they explained pressure as well.

Thanks KW and cafasco for the Rotella Synthetic T 5w40 recommendations, I've done a bit of reading on this oil since then and it is very appealing. I'm going to try to understand oil ratings a bit more and see if I can put that information to use to make a more educated guess for my application. Tough oil is good and it's cheaper than M1!? Wow.

I'd basically like to try what each person has mentioned at least once working my way up. After thinking about it, I may go a head and continue using the Castrol Syntec so I can get a UOA for this oil before moving on to something else. I'm topping off a lot so I will try to attend to the leak(s) and replace gaskets during my next oil change and hopefully that will help me with having to top off so much oil. If the leaks are not the major issue and I find out I'm burning it off with the way the car is used, I will make a switch earlier than my intended 3 changes at 3k miles and forget the UOA if I won't be using it anyway...

Last edited:
I wanted to bring this topic back from the dead as I'm reaching my OCI of 3000 miles and I'll be switching from the Castrol Syntec 10w40 to a Mobil1.

What viscosity should I use for a 120,xxx mile engine?

I want to revert to the factory recommended 5w30 but now I'm not so sure since it is high mileage and I find myself having to top-off quite a bit using Castrols 10w40. I've used about 3 qts since my initial oil change to synthetic for the first time. Keep in mind though, some of the loss has to do with the weak seals also.

During a track day however, I lose very little. I think it has more to do with the car sitting and losing oil over +/- 4 months than it does burning it off.

Am I better off with sticking to my 10w40 regime or could I safely revert to factory recommended viscosity?

How about 0w40 weight to keep me protected during start ups?

Or am I better off with the additives of the High Mileage stuff and sticking with 10w40?

Last edited:
So I decided to use a 10w40 Mobil1 High Mileage. It's supposed to have some additives to help swell up some of the old seals to help stop or slow some leaks.

So far so good, my engine is liking this oil better than the Castrol Syntec 10w40.

However, the weight might be too thick. This isn't a daily driver but when I do take her out around town the Oil Temp never went above 190 degrees. At the track, during my last session, after the cool down lap, I finally got a chance to glimpsed at the gauge. Unfortunately there was too much going on during the on track sessions, HPDE 1 and 2 were packed that day. I didn't remember to get any readings during a hot lap.

This was in Rosamond, CA at Willow Springs this past weekend. Windy day and relatively cool. I'd say ambient temps were about 70 degrees if not lower.

After exiting the track, I glimpsed at the gauge and noticed I was around 220 - 230 degree mark.

According to my research, that means I could bump down to 5w30 and be ok. I think bumping down to 5w30 will yield better temps around town yet still be contained during a high performance track session?

Any comments?

Last edited:
Third,
The Integra (NOT the GSR) is a friendly Honda four cylinder.
It will be happy with any oil.
The '99 Accord (2.4, VTEC) was perfectly happy with M1 0W-30 AFE, and is also fine with M1 EP 15W-50.
Your car is an automatic, no?
Mine are sticks, so I probably run them harder.
Use the AFE.
Your engine will do just fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back