Recommended Lubricant for Air Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Ridgid "Contractor wheelbarrow" gas powered air compressor.

My concerns are with the low airflow over the pump and the fact that even when not pressurizing the tank, the compressor is turning all the time. It also has a badly designed fan shroud/belt guard that doesnt blow much cooling air. So far, experience shows that it runs fairly hot. I use this alot, and want it to last. The manual recommends an ISO 100 / SAE 30 Non Detergent (What I am using right now) or Mobil-1 5w-30 or 10w-30.

Would Mobil1 be a good compressor oil Or would I be that much better off to just go with Amsoil PCK?

Havent checked that yet..

I will run it for awhile and put the IR thermometer on it. The dicharge air probably gets there, but I doubt the sump ever gets to 200.

I'm thinking of buying a Craftsman Air Compressor but I don't know if I should buy the 33 gal, 15 or 12. The 33 gallon in the ad doesn't mention PSI. But the 12 gal. is a 125 PSI oil-lube compressor and the 15 gal. is a 150 PSI air compressor. Also why would I want a vertical over a horizontal or vise-versa.

Use Royal Purple's Synfilm 68.

Synfilm® is Royal Purple's best-selling industrial lubricant and is recommended for use in air compressors, pumps, steam turbines, bearings, gears, air tools, etc.

Synfilm® is a clean, dry, long life, high film strength, energy efficient, synthetic lubricant that significantly increases bearing life and equipment reliability.

Synfilm® rapidly and completely separates from water and provides excellent protection against rust and corrosion. Synfilm® users experience lower operating temperatures, reduced bearing vibrations, extended oil drain intervals and longer equipment life.

Synfilm® gains its performance advantage over competing mineral and synthetic oils through its superior blend of synthetic base oils plus Royal Purple's proprietary Synerlec® additive technology. This unique additive technology is proven to make equipment run smoother, cooler, quieter, longer and more efficiently.

Synfilm® typically replaces conventional, low film strength, R & O (rust and oxidation inhibited) oils that rely solely on their viscosity to protect equipment against wear.

Do you have any experience using it?

Seeing that reminded me that my DeWalt/Emglo compressor came with a blue synthetic pump oil.. I wonder if its the same, or if the dewalt stuff would work good in other compressors.

I used the gas compressor for about an hour today, and the discharge air is extremely hot, it didnt boil water off the head, but it evaporated very quickly. I'd guess the crankcase never gets over 120F..

quote:

Originally posted by car54:
Do you have any experience using it?

Seeing that reminded me that my DeWalt/Emglo compressor came with a blue synthetic pump oil.. I wonder if its the same, or if the dewalt stuff would work good in other compressors.

I used the gas compressor for about an hour today, and the discharge air is extremely hot, it didnt boil water off the head, but it evaporated very quickly. I'd guess the crankcase never gets over 120F..

Yes we have compressors running in the north of south africa, on the mines previous lubricant running 6000 hours, they changed to Synfilm® and changed the oil after 65000 hours, the oil was sent for analysis every 5000 hours. The surfaces were micropolished, and we saved energy, downtime and returned 13times on our investment on the oil.

See what it costs you to simply change to a GOOD synthetic lubricant!
wink.gif

Warstud,

I'm no expert, but as a home-hobbyist, I have observed a few things about compressors.

Choose your compressor based upon its intended use. Air tools each are rated by the amount of CFM's they require. Make sure the compressor you've chosen makes enough CFM's for the intended tools.

I've found that if for example you need 11 CFM's, it is cheaper to buy two 5.5 cfm compressors than it is to buy 1 11CFM compressor. You can just run the 2 5.5 CFM compressors in parallel. I think this is because 5.5CFM compressor are on the large end of the "consumer" compressors, and as such are a relatively high volume item. An 11 CFM is a light industrial compressor, and sales volumes on thes are lower, hence the higher pricing per CFM. Presumably the light industrial units would be longer lived than the high end consumer units.

As far as vertical vs. horizontal, it just depends on your requirements as to the location of the compressor. I have moved my horizontal compressor out of my garage and into my basement (my wife doesn't like this) because it took up too much floor space in my garage. A vertical compressor has a smaller footprint, but is taller...and couldn't be hidden under a work bench for example.

Hope this info helps.

I recommend a synthetic diester - based ISO 100 recipricating compressor oil. Diesters are good til 215F continuous without varnishing or forming sludge. Diesters are also a natural detergent, so they will clean up your equipment over a couple of changes. Product is Keystone lubricants #KSL Comp 100.

disclaimer: We are Keystone Distributors, but I have seen it perform fantastically in harsh industrial conditions.
Thanks & good luck,
Hardy

[ December 05, 2005, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I used the Husky ISO 100 on the compressor I bought today. I found it of interest that the directions warned that useing 10w30 causes carbon on the piston tops shortening the life of the unit.
gr_eek2.gif

I have had good success with Mobil Rarus 427 air compressor oil on my small shop compressor (17 yrs old). It meets the specs. you listed.

It is available at any W.W. Graingers if you are lucky enough to have one local. can't explain why it is so pricey.

Check it out at: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/se...d&QueryString=Rarus&catindx1=&catindx2=&xi=xi

also: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...obeCompatable=true&toolbar=false&CatPage=2904

and, here is the Mobil web page: http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENINDMOMobil_Rarus_427.asp

[ December 15, 2005, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: doitmyself ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back