Recommended filter for running Mobil1 High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two vehicles using it are a 98 Honda Civic, 180K, and 2005 Toyota Sienna, 120K. Both engines require 5W-30. Most of the mileage on both vehicles is city driving, with say 20% of the miles being freeway.

Up until this point, both vehicles have been using conventional oil, at 7500 mile OCI. The oil changes have been pretty regular. I have no idea what brand oil has been used; most of the oil changes have been at the local Toyota and Honda dealers.

I would like to get a filter that will do its job well for the entire 8K miles, so I don't have to replace the filter halfway through the OCI.

I have read that the Mobile1 Extended Performance filter is very good; I did call a local Synfast Oil Change (they use Castrol) and the guy said that they use “conventional” filters even with a synthetic oil change, because the synthetic filters are so strong they slow down the flow of oil. Is there any truth to this?

EDIT: I'd like to stay within $10-15 for the filter; if there really is a solid reason to pay $20, I suppose I could go that high but I'd want to know why I'd have to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: paulri
... the guy said that they use “conventional” filters even with a synthetic oil change, because the synthetic filters are so strong they slow down the flow of oil. Is there any truth to this?

Zero truth to that. In reality, the full synthetic oil filters flow better.

Also, 7500 OCIs with 80% city driving might be pushing conventional motor oil a bit.

No, there is absolutely no truth to it. They have no clue what they're talking about. Synthetic media filters can flow more than regular filters.

amsoil-eao-cellulose-media-fiber-spacing.jpg

amsoil-synthetic-media-fiber-spacing.jpg

Yeah I got the 7500 figure from the guy who sold us (salesman) the Sienna (new). Now, their recommendation has dropped to 5000.

At any rate, from here on out, it will be Mobil1 synthetic, so 8K is very doable with this I believe.

It's a pity because if this was 2-3 yrs ago, PureOne would probably be the most recommended. It's the perfect choice for ~7500 mile OCIs.

Like spasm3 said above, M1 & FU are solid. For the Civic, Honda A02 (or God-tier A01) would also work great for that OCI.

welcome2.gif

M1 is a great filter, as is Fram Ultra, Wix/Napa Gold, Carquest Blue, Wix XP/Napa Platinum, Purolator Synthetic, Hastings/Baldwin. There's also the Castrol oil filter which is probably similar if not identical to the M1; it uses Fram's numbering system but with CAS in front, so for your cars you'd get CAS3387A and CAS3614.

WARNING: stay away from K&N. They are cheaply made in Mexico now, but they did not pass along the savings.

If you are looking to buy the Mobil 1 Extended Protection oil filter, this site has the best price for them that I've ever found.

If you prefer a WIX or Fram filters, I recommend rockauto.com. They have the best prices for filters but no M1
frown.gif

The two vehicles using it are a 98 Honda Civic, 180K, and 2005 Toyota Sienna, 120K. Both engines require 5W-30. Most of the mileage on both vehicles is city driving, with say 20% of the miles being freeway.

Up until this point, both vehicles have been using conventional oil, at 7500 mile OCI. The oil changes have been pretty regular. I have no idea what brand oil has been used; most of the oil changes have been at the local Toyota and Honda dealers.

I would like to get a filter that will do its job well for the entire 8K miles, so I don't have to replace the filter halfway through the OCI.

I have read that the Mobile1 Extended Performance filter is very good; I did call a local Synfast Oil Change (they use Castrol) and the guy said that they use “conventional” filters even with a synthetic oil change, because the synthetic filters are so strong they slow down the flow of oil. Is there any truth to this?

EDIT: I'd like to stay within $10-15 for the filter; if there really is a solid reason to pay $20, I suppose I could go that high but I'd want to know why I'd have to.

Welcome!

Fram Ultra filters are the hot thing right now and will run you about 8$ a pop at walmart or amazon.

At parts houses, I would consider a Wix filter or a Carquest premium filter, which is also a wix filter. Both of these are around 6$ and well built. Another great $6 filter is the Fram Tough Guard which is rated for 10k miles.

The truth is that any decent filter will go 7500 miles in a well maintained engine. Synthetic media filters excel in flow as well as in the ability to run 15k miles or so.

I ran a Fram Orange can out to almost 8k miles and cut it open. Everything looked great. Try to buy at least a medium grade filter and you won't have any issues at all.

Also if you want OEM you can probably buy OEM toyota and Honda filters at your dealer for $6-7 a piece. However, you will likely get more efficient filters through the aftermarket.

Fram Ultra are excellent filters. They seem to be among the best available, and they're reasonably priced. Check the Fram website, they might still have a $2 rebate going on to help reduce the price a bit more. If you really wanted to squeeze as much out of them as possible, you can also reduce the overall cost by using them for their full 15k miles.

Wix/NAPA Gold filters are also very good, and cost a bit less than the Fram Ultra. Unless you're going to run the Fram Ultra for two OCIs, then the Wix/NAPA Gold filter is probably a better bang for your buck than the Fram Ultras.

OK, I can get a Mobil1 Extended Performance filter at a local oreilly's at a very reasonable price so I'll stick with that.

Thanks for the comments.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
No, there is absolutely no truth to it. They have no clue what they're talking about. Synthetic media filters can flow more than regular filters.

That pic is a nice way of showing how it filters out more, but still allows for more flow.

Fram Tough Guard if you want to change the filter every interval of Fram Ultra if you want to leave the filter on for at least 15,000 miles. Both are at least 99% efficient at 20 microns, tops in the filter industry.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fram Tough Guard if you want to change the filter every interval of Fram Ultra if you want to leave the filter on for at least 15,000 miles. Both are at least 99% efficient at 20 microns, tops in the filter industry.

Neither is available at the local parts stores, so I think I'll stick with the Mobil1.

You will because the oem filters are more about flow which in my eyes is one of the most important things you should look for next to the build quality. Some people don't believe this but the people that build and design engines and this guy which rebuilds them believes dirty oil lubricates much better then no oil and that is a fact that cant be disputed by anyone in the know!

Although i would never use a fram i have a couple of ultras in use and they are pretty nice filters in my opinion so far... When i get the uoa's and cut them open i will know a lot more however their build quality is very nice.

No Mobil 1 oil filters ever again on my 3.1 engine. Sounded like a diesel on engine start after it sit for about 12 hours. Took it off, and put on a Wix, and it was all good to go. The Fram Tough Guard from the previous oil changed worked good too.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 filters are very nice,but they are over priced being that they are only synthetic blend media while Fram Ultras are full microglass and cheaper around here.

The Mobil 1 filter is pretty much the best non microglass media filter in my opinion

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
You will because the oem filters are more about flow which in my eyes is one of the most important things you should look for next to the build quality. Some people don't believe this but the people that build and design engines and this guy which rebuilds them believes dirty oil lubricates much better then no oil and that is a fact that cant be disputed by anyone in the know!

Nobody is disputing dirty oil vs no oil here nor have they recently that I have seen.

That would be what a bypass valve is for dude. If you have "no oil" due to a filter you have a seriously defective filter. Has nothing to do with picking brand "A" over brand "B".

No synthetic filters do not slow down oil flow. Nonsense.

Mobil 1 EP filters would be fine. Puro synthetics and Royal purple filters are my go to extended interval filters, but there certainly are a number of others that can go 8k miles easy. Try a couple different brands and find which one you prefer. then cut them and post pictures of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back