recommended "break in" oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new Toyota Tacoma (V6) should be delivered within the next few weeks.

What brand or type of "break-in" oil is "best"?
Which oil has a high level of moly?
What oil change interval would you recommend during the break in?

Thanks for you input!!

On my 2002 3.4 I did the following.

Used Valvoline 5W-30 with OEM filter
Changed at 1100
Changed at 3700
changed at 6800
changed to Mobil 1 5W-30 and currently use WIX filters at 11500 miles

Now have 30k with NO oil usage. Going 7500 this interval and gonna see what analysis shows.

Nah, supposedly you can switch to synthetic pratically right away. I just felt safer running out to around 10k miles. I know this engine will last 200k+ when well cared for, so I dont think it'll hurt anything.

I feel safer getting the factory oil out soon, that way any casting leftovers will be mostly out.

quote:

Originally posted by mulepacker:
My new Toyota Tacoma (V6) should be delivered within the next few weeks.

What brand or type of "break-in" oil is "best"?
Which oil has a high level of moly?
What oil change interval would you recommend during the break in?

Thanks for you input!!

I'd recommed using the factory fill oil until the factory recommended first oil change. The factory fill sometimes is a special blend designed for break-in.

If the first recommended oil change is at 1,000 miles, I'd use any decent dino-juice and switch to synthetic at the second oil change.

It the first recommended oil change is at 3,000 miles or more, then I'd switch to synthetic at the first oil change.

Toyota recommends the first change at 5,000 miles! Based on what I learned on this site, I'm not sure that I want to wait that long since I drive less that 1,000/month.

I agree with getting the casting/machining glop out early. I changed the factory fill and filter in my Hyundai V6 at 600 miles and refilled with SuperTech 5W-30 as a "light weight" break-in aid. (Hyundai recommends 10W-30 in my expected temperature range, and a max of 55 mph for the first 1,200 miles, but I second-guessed their engineers on the break-in oil weight to promote controlled wear.) I then drove until the odometer hit 3,000 miles and drained and replaced the 5W-30 with 10W-30 Chevron Supreme dino and filter. I've noticed no oil usage with the 5W-30 or the two subsequent refills and filter changes with 10W-30, so I suspect the rings are nicely seated. Would I have fared just as well if I'd followed the owner's manual to leave the factory fill oil in for 3,750 miles? Intellectually I'd have to confess, probably. But I like the emotional gratification I got from pro-actively involving myself with my engine's break-in. So, how soon will I switch to synthetic? When the netherworld freezes over.

[ October 15, 2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

My car came with Castrol SLX, aka GC for factory fill and 1st interval was 10,000 miles. I changed to M1 0w-40 at 7500 miles. This is before GC was available. New TOYOTA, I'd break it in gradually to 1500 miles, hammer it to seat the rings until 2500 miles and change to a synthetic every 6 months, up to 8000 miles. I guess you might have to respect the factory 5000 mile interval, but that is easy to fudge with random oil reciepts. Mobil 1 is a good bet for Japanese engine. TOYOTA filters.

I do a couple of low mileage oil changes to flush the wear metals and casting dirt out.The most wear will occur within the first 1000 miles .

I had my 2003 Tacoma 3.4 factory fill analyzed, and the results are posted in the database here. No one has ever indicated that the oil had any special qualities.

The best break-in oil in a new vehicle is the one that the factory put in.

The best interval is the one spec'd in your owner's manual.

As far as re-built/re-man engines...that's a different story...

I used Halvoline 10w30 to break in my rebuilt LS1. I ran it for 3,000 miles and changed it out at 500, 1,500 and 3,500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back