Recommendations please, 1987 Ford E150 with 63k...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a great deal on an '87 E150 passenger van with high top that will be used as a camping and hauling vehicle. It's got a 302 with, I'm assuming, flat tappets. Fuel injected. Four speed overdrive. Not the prettiest van in town but with a little elbow grease who knows...

What would you recommend for oil? I'm thinking Max life 10/30. Also what would you recommend for tranny fluid? Thinking Redline D4. And finally, would you recommend changing the differential fluid or just let it sit? Thanks so much in advance!!

Yes its flat tappet. Any SN rated oil will do fine with it though. QS Defy or Valvoline Maxlife are what I would run.

I wouldn't go expensive on trans fluid. Get some basic off the shelf trans oil.

Yes go ahead and change diff fluid.
If want basic 80w90 is factory spec.
75w90 is synthetic alternative.

BEST OF LUCK! with your find.

I thought my friend's 1997 F-150 with only 49,000 miles would be the "all time" winner.

Your van now holds the award. Kira

M1 HM or Maxlife full synth for the engine.

Any MerconV. If within budget, any full synth ATF. My 87 AOD hit 300k on Mobil1 ATF.

Change the diff gear oil. Use any synth GL5 75w90.

Originally Posted By: Kira
BEST OF LUCK! with your find.

I thought my friend's 1997 F-150 with only 49,000 miles would be the "all time" winner.

Your van now holds the award. Kira

Our company van (1997 Chevy Express) only has 44,000 on it right now. But yeah, a 1987 with that low of mileage is pretty crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back