Recommendations for two cars in Arizona weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first car is my own, a 2008 Ford Fusion 2.3L. 101k miles as a former rental car. Currently I take it on 20 minute long commutes in moderate stop-and-go traffic almost every day, highway usage is uncommon with this car.

The second car is a 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. 124K miles under its belt. My sister takes it on a commute almost 45 minutes long on a mixed city and highway drive and a 200+ mile road trip about once a month.

Both cars have no leaks, and I've not used a synthetic for either one before. Respectively they get filled with Motorcraft 5W-20 and Valvoline NG Conventional on 5k OCIs. Would now be a good time to switch to a full synthetic way before the impending summer heat wave rolls around?

You only need a full synthetic if you do longish OCI's or suffer some extreme service issues, a good quality conventional or part synthetic results in the same wear. As the cars are starting to age I would move to a 5/30 for both, or if you want to stick to 20 grades switch to a better quality full synthetic 0/20 (Full synthetic 5/20's are hard to find). Make sure you check the oil finder page of the company you select to check the 5/30 is recommended for both exact engine types.
If your oil consumption is a tad high, then think about changing to an HM oil, otherwise just look for the 5/30 special offers.

Last edited:
I have the same year Altima 2.5. I have pretty much used 5W30 dino and sometimes I'll use 2qts of syn with the dino in order to use up my stash of many brands, more evenly.

I've lived in the Phoenix area since 1984, owned several vehicles, never used synthetic, and never had a vehicle overheat. Dealer uses 10W-30 in my Outlander (current vehicle) and in the dead of summer the ScangaugeII I have shows a temp in the 190-195 degree range. Have oil changed every 3-4 months, and coolant flushed every 3 years.

Originally Posted By: 10WSmuckers
The first car is my own, a 2008 Ford Fusion 2.3L. 101k miles as a former rental car. Currently I take it on 20 minute long commutes in moderate stop-and-go traffic almost every day, highway usage is uncommon with this car.

The second car is a 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. 124K miles under its belt. My sister takes it on a commute almost 45 minutes long on a mixed city and highway drive and a 200+ mile road trip about once a month.

Both cars have no leaks, and I've not used a synthetic for either one before. Respectively they get filled with Motorcraft 5W-20 and Valvoline NG Conventional on 5k OCIs. Would now be a good time to switch to a full synthetic way before the impending summer heat wave rolls around?

Only if you want. But what you are doing will result in many years and miles of engine life.

the ford motorcraft you are using is just as good as anything out there in my opinion. Many mustang guys prefer it in hopped up 4.6's over M1. id use the motorcraft.

i used it in a procharged 02 Gt a couple years ago at 5k mile oci. Your fusion and your nissan will outlast their bodies on the motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back