Recommendations for new Audi RS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Audi RS4 beast, with a 4.2L aluminium block 420HP V8 with FSI direct injection,that has a redline of 8,250 RPM, and a max piston velocity of a F1 race engine. My driving style is always spirited, with most of the miles driven on the highway.

Currently the car is through the nominal break-in period proscribed by Audi, and has 2000 miles on her, with the factory oil. I believe the factory oil is Castrol Syntec 5w40.

I plan to perform UOA when I change out the factory oil and plan to replace it with Elf Excellium LDX 5w40. Because of Audi/VW warranty, I need to stay with 502 00 spec, 5W50 or 0W40 oil. Based on the many discussion threads I've read on BISTOG, Elf seems as good a place to start, when it comes to a good high quality oil for this engine.

I'll also plan to do a VOA on the Elf and a UOA when it is first changed out.

Audi recommends 5K miles as the first oil change, with the next service interval at 15K. I've always gone with 3-5K between changes, maximum, in the past with Mobil 1 0w40 in my old S4.

So, given that I'm new at this oil monitoring game, what would y'all recommend and advise that I do from here on out?

Nice car, that thing must be fun to drive. How many people turn their heads when you drive past them?

I would keep the factory fill until 5000 miles as manual list. I don't know if this engine is hard on oil or not but stick with VW 502 approved oils. Mobil 1 0W-40 is a good choice if you want something you can gets easily. You could probably even use Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (German Castrol). ELF 5W-40 probably have to get it online. I would also stick with OEM filters or the equivalent. After the factory fill, I would do 5000 miles and oil analysis it to see how it works out.

I would drain the oil and refill with the synthetic you mentioned. That oil's been in there long enough for a first fill. No need to change the filter yet. Change the oil again and filter at 5000. The factory filter cartridges are pretty darn good. The only possible improvement would be an Amsoil EaO type filter cartridge, and I don't know if they even make them yet.Nothing cooler to drive than a new Audi, have fun.

I believe the RS4 actually calls for a VW 505.01 oil as the preferred lubricant and not VW 502.00. So I'd check into that....

I'd start with 5k intervals until you do some testing and see how the oil is holding up. I've haven't seen any UOA data on the FSI engines yet to gauge oil degradation.

TS

Am I understanding you correctly in that you'll be performing your own oil changes on this car? If it were mine, I'd use whatever Audi recommended. You might want to check with them concerning your warranty. I do know BMW has been a real shark about DIY maintenance, in that they prefer you don't do it. I can't imagine Audi is any more lax considering the high-tech nature of this engine. I do enjoy performing my own maintenance, but I'm driving a $22,000 Nissan pickup. Your circumstances are a bit different.

TS

The RS4 engine is a naturally aspirated gas powered V8. All VW/Audi gasoline engines require 502.00. From the manual it says:

"You can use oil with a viscosity grade of SAE 5W40 across all temperature ranges for normal driving conditions."
"However, if engine oil viscosity grade 5W40 is not available, you can also use viscosity grade 5W30 or 0W40 as long as it meets Audi oil quality standard VW 502.00."

CBD

I will be having my dealer perform the oil changes, so that it is recorded in the maintaince logs. They will gladly use any oil I provide that meets Audi specifications.

Blue

Since I'm a noob, can you ellaborate on your Motul 8100 eTech recommendation. Being an engineer, if you point me in the right direction, I'm a great student.

Don't forget the 'ol oil extractor pump. A Pela 6000 is what I use and is super-handy for fluid-only service. It'll draw out you old oil through the dipstick tube and you can freshen the oil 1/2 way through the dealer service interval. It's a nice item and you can change your oil for $30 in 10 minutes without even bending over. Just use the same type oil to refill and the splash of old oil leftover in the filter is a non-issue.

Isn't full maintenance included with that car?

I would double the recommended oil change intervals. I think companies that provide maintenance with their cars tend to extend their recommended OCI's too far. (BMW, etc) So, I would do this;

2500 OC (you pay)
5000 OC (they pay)
12500 OC (you pay)
20000 OC (they pay)

Etc, etc

quote:

Originally posted by RI_RS4:
Blue

Since I'm a noob, can you ellaborate on your Motul 8100 eTech recommendation. Being an engineer, if you point me in the right direction, I'm a great student.

Motorspot (I Don't think I'm allowed to link due to forum rules) is a great place to buy Motul products from. It looks like 0w-40 is your best bet since it has the VW 502 00 / 505 00 / 503.01 approvals. Though I'm not certain of it, I'd imagine Audi would recommend one of those.

These Motul oils are approved by Audi

Motul Motul 6100 X–cess SAE 5W–40
Motul Motul 8100 E–tech SAE 0W–40
Motul Motul 8100 X–cess SAE 5W–40
Motul Motul Synergie SAE 5W–40
Motul Motul Synergie Ester + SAE 0W–40

However, why the Motul recommendation vs other Audi approved oils?

For reference, I've posted the complete Audi 502.00 oil list in another thread.

A list from me would be (meeting 502.00 and in no partic. order):

1. Lubromoly 5W-40 - 70% PAO, 20% mineral oil; don't let that fool you, it's very robust; very low volatility; made by relatively small German company
2. Pentosin 5W-40 - PAO and a little something else they refered to as "synthetic" so maybe esters? A consistent high performing oil made by a very acclaimed German company.
3. Motul 8100 0W-40 - esters and PAO; super long drain capability (needed for VW 503.01 spec); not the greatest volatility (~9.8%) due to using a mix of high and low viscosity basestocks to achieve a medium (40 weight ) viscosity.

GC may be thin enough to cause higher oil consumption than the 40 weights. You only know for sure by trying it. Burning oil increases ring and piston deposits so is to be avoided if possible.

For MSDS info on first two oils above, go to www.worldpac.com and look for MSDS link. It's not labeled well but if you look hard you'll find it.

Just use an otc oil, imo. Too bad Audi won't allow plain old ACEA A3 oil and increase the NA consumer's choices and reduce the costs.

WOW, not to go OT, but I just checked your car out online... NICE!!!!

Makes me wonder if $66k is better spent on a Z06 vette or an RS4! Cripes, the utility is very swaying!

I cant imagine its well behaved in day to day drivng or traffic... can you comment???

Sorry for the OT!

FWIW, Id use GC 0w-30 - it seems to be more than robust enough for that power density, is readily available, and gives great results.

Id also consider the Amsoil 5w-40 if your dealer will allow you to use it.

JMH

P.S. What kind of engineer are you up in RI????

JMH

The RS4 is extremely driveable and well behaved in day to day driving. Very good torque across the powerband, with a clutch and shifter that is as smooth as butter. It's really a beautiful driving machine that becomes a total beast when you open her up.

I'm an electrical engineer with a specialty in high speed electronics design for next generation computers and telecommunication systems.

I'm sure GC is robust enough, but since it doesn't meet the 502.00 specs, I'm toast should there be an engine problem under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back