Recommendations for 2012 Prius V

Just purchased a used Prius V and will likely require tires soon. I drive 130 miles daily from York Pa-Baltimore county mostly highway. Comfort-rolling resistance-and handling would be the priorities in that order…Appreciate any feedback with regards to whether a gripper tire negatively impacts acceleration with this vehicle… within a week have adapted highway driving style to more right lane…in part due to vehicle-but also has fairly worn tires from budget China brand-so playing it safe at this juncture… I drive regularly durimg stop and go type traffic, but have been tailgated and cut off more driving this car than any other in the past 35 years, which can appreciate because I had similar feelings when driving behind a Prius as well. All ideas and feedback are welcome…

Go to Costco and get some Michelin tires. Primacy A/S would be a good choice. The "eco" versions michelin sells in this size tire are good too, but have shorter treadlife and don't have as many "sipes" for that excellent bad weather performance that the Primacy tire is known for.

Go to Costco and get some Michelin tires. Primacy A/S would be a good choice. The "eco" versions michelin sells in this size tire are good too, but have shorter treadlife and don't have as many "sipes" for that excellent bad weather performance that the Primacy tire is known for.
This ^^^^^^ Or Discount Tire

I think some all season tires would be good. Really any name brand is alright these days. There are a few I would avoid but most are ok. We have some Pirelli P4 All Seasons on our Camry put them on in 2018 doing really good. Still have 6/32 left and we do tons of driving. Before that we used to only used Michelin Defenders because my dad thought anything but Michelin was bad.

A grippier tire will hurt your MPG but you won't notice it in acceleration.

It sounds like you want "old man" tires like the Goodyear Comfortread.

I have thought about some of the all weather tires… but remember having directional tires before and they were loud and would notice uneven wear more than other designs… know not all are directional… may check in on cooper tires never considered them… Nokian Etyre 2.0 is about 75-80 online through wal mart or simple tire…appreciate suggestions thus far… and one comment about old man tires is probably appropriate in some ways… Prius is not quite as comfortable as older Lexus had before… and was thinking a smooth riding tire might help a bit with that…when I had cars that handled better and rewarded you driving on curvy roads-would focus on performance tires… but Prius does not instill those feelings at all 😊… but feel pure rolling resistance tires may be a little hard riding with absorbing bumps and such… also Michelin energy savers and other pure low rolling resistance tires are notably more expensive too.

I have thought about some of the all weather tires… but remember having directional tires before and they were loud and would notice uneven wear more than other designs… know not all are directional… may check in on cooper tires never considered them… Nokian Etyre 2.0 is about 75-80 online through wal mart or simple tire…appreciate suggestions thus far… and one comment about old man tires is probably appropriate in some ways… Prius is not quite as comfortable as older Lexus had before… and was thinking a smooth riding tire might help a bit with that…when I had cars that handled better and rewarded you driving on curvy roads-would focus on performance tires… but Prius does not instill those feelings at all 😊… but feel pure rolling resistance tires may be a little hard riding with absorbing bumps and such… also Michelin energy savers and other pure low rolling resistance tires are notably more expensive too.
Nokian WR G4
Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady
Vredstein Quatrac Pro
are the ones I can think of, off the top of my head that are assymmetric

General Altimax 365AW is symmetric.

Costco has the costo only X-tour A/S, which is basically a Defender made for Costco.

Have the same car, currently using Yokohama Avid Ascend T, I think it is discontinued but I do like it a lot. Maybe you can try the newer version of it?

We are considering the Michelin CrossClimate 2 for our other Camry they are directional though and they make your car look like a truck with them on lol. But everyone I’ve talked too has loved them. They said the only complaint is gravel getting stuck in the tread easily and making noise. Seems to be a shortage of them too as the only ones I could fine were available from I think Discount Tire or somewhere else another member directed me too. But I know at work we can’t get Michelin or any tires except MasterCraft for 8-10 weeks.

Costco has the costo only X-tour A/S, which is basically a Defender made for Costco.
That's also a great tire! It's good to note that Costco renames existing tires and an educated consumer will recognize what they are purchasing. But they can also order anything from the Michelin catalog. I do this with my truck tires, the prices are competitive.

Thank you everyone for input….often search in wal mart.com as they often have great tire deals. One trick is to just put in the tire size. For example-Prius comes with a V rated tire which is kind of ridiculous…found Nokian etyre 2.0 for 51 dollars each…. Had them shipped free of course to wal mart near me.. took three days and had them install for very reasonable price. Only drawback at wal mart is they don’t do alignments… tires are so much better in snow and wet than tires previously… have decent rolling resistance getting about the same as before on new tire. Ride great on highway… do feel hear bumps on rougher roads…. Overall very good tire so far

While a Prius won’t complain with a Chinese tire(as many Uber drivers do with them), the traction control is calibrated a little aggressively and a better tire will prevent it from intervening unless absolutely needed. A small MPG hit with “grippier” tires but less white knuckle moments.

The Michelin Defender/X Tour A/S is a fine choice for these. I dunno if Michelin makes the CrossClimate 2 in your size. If there’s snow on the roads and since you live in PA, an “all weather” tire with the 3PMSF symbol ain’t a bad idea. General and Firestone make one, Hankook has a “copy” of the CrossClimate 2.

Back