Recommendation pls: 2004 5.3 Suburban, 200k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'd like to get some recommendations for a good oil to extend the life of our 5.3 vortec. It has 200,000 miles and just occasionally makes a very noticable tap/knock/clicking noise on cold start. The noise goes away after a few seconds or a minute.

I am wondering if it is a lifter, hopefully not a bearing.

In any case, I'd like to try an oil that might help clean out any slight blockages in any oil supply passages. I'm a bit nervous about a "cleaning" solvent and am more inclined to try something more gradual.

The vehicle has been running conventional 5W30 for the last 60k miles with changes every 4 or 5k miles.

I was wondering about switching over to Mobile 1 High mileage? Maybe with a Napa Gold filter.

Comments appreciated.
Doug

Thanks for the suggestion. Why is the Valvoline product the preferred choice? (excuse my ignorance, I'm just starting to research this subject).
Doug

Chevy 5.3L engines have a piston slap issue do they not (a question for the Chevy guys on the forum)? If memory serves it usually disappears within a few seconds.

I would check out Mobil Super HM or Pennzoil HM if Maxlife is not available or not desired. NAPA Gold filters are very good as are FRAM Toughguards.

Right, I think they do have a piston slap issue. I don't think that's what I (very occasionally) am hearing and am concerned about. I think I can hear a faint piston slap too, but it's much quieter, almost like a "tinkle" rather than this "tap".
Doug

My 06 Silverado and current 08 Silverado have done this randonly on/off, both with 5.3 v8s. I have never been able to pin point it but nothing major has ever happened to either. It usually happens during the colder months. Ive never really stressed over it as the LS engines last forever. Perfect example is yours with 200k, my buddy has one with 278k, another buddy had over 400k on a 99- first year for the 5.3. I say keep doing what youre doing and see if it gets worse in 6 months as it seems like its probably been happening for a while. Also Napa Golds are excellent filters, I ran my last truck on quite a few of them.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Chevy 5.3L engines have a piston slap issue do they not (a question for the Chevy guys on the forum)? If memory serves it usually disappears within a few seconds.

I would check out Mobil Super HM or Pennzoil HM if Maxlife is not available or not desired. NAPA Gold filters are very good as are FRAM Toughguards.
Mobil oils always seemed to run quiet in my old truck, also Quaker State has been fairly quiet in my current truck.

It's just piston slap, harmless and just their design.

Oils usually can't do anything about Chevy piston slap, but member Turk on here has quieted down his Chevy 6.0L with Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40. It's certified for gasoline engines as well.

Originally Posted By: DougM
Right, I think they do have a piston slap issue. I don't think that's what I (very occasionally) am hearing and am concerned about. I think I can hear a faint piston slap too, but it's much quieter, almost like a "tinkle" rather than this "tap".
Doug

Correct. Piston Slap does not make a ticking/tapping noise. Your issue could be the Oil Pump Pick-Up Tube O-ring, And/Or the Oil Pan Gasket is leaking oil back into the Sump which makes the Anti Drain Back in the filter useless. The Anti Drain Back could also be faulty...But guessing this has been going on with more than one filter change?

Installing a mechanical pressure gauge to see how slow/fast it picks up oil pressure would be the first step in diagnosing this.

Just try any High Mileage oil in the correct weight ( I do like Valvoline and Pen HM oils) but they are all good. The NAPA Gold is a winner every day of the week.

It seems to me whatever you used the first 200,000 miles worked to get you where you are today. Use whatever oil for "high mileage" you choose.

You got the useful life out of your vehicle and it's all extra miles from here on out-IMHO.

Last edited:
I have an '03 Suburban with 205K on the clock that I bought used 11 years ago with 30K on it. I've used M1 for 30k-50k, then used german castrol ever since, except for a few breakdowns in thought process. The GC went away for a brief period of time, at least around here and I tried others. Every time I tried something else the piston slap was a little more pronounced. This was the old GC 0w-40 that worked well, early on it was the green stuff, and when that ran out I switch to others. Eventually went back to Castrol 0w-40.

This past winter starting getting a loud knock at startup, loudest on the passenger side of the engine. It's not the usual piston slap, so I figure it's some lifters and just going to let it play out for now. Plan on trying a top end clean sometime on the next few weeks, we'll see if it solves the issue.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Doug

Correct. Piston Slap does not make a ticking/tapping noise. Your issue could be the Oil Pump Pick-Up Tube O-ring, And/Or the Oil Pan Gasket is leaking oil back into the Sump which makes the Anti Drain Back in the filter useless. The Anti Drain Back could also be faulty...But guessing this has been going on with more than one filter change?

Installing a mechanical pressure gauge to see how slow/fast it picks up oil pressure would be the first step in diagnosing this.

The oil pressure gauge on the dash rises very very quickly right up to 40psi. When you suggest a mechanical gauge is that because they are more accurate/reliable, or is it because there is an alternative measurement point that I should be thinking about using?
I've read up a bit on the possibility of the o-ring problem, but it's a bit of a pain to drop the pan, thanks to the front diff. If it can be accurately diagnosed with an extra gauge, then I'm certainly keen to try that measurement.
Doug

Doug

Too early for the o-ring issue, this engine may have carbon knocking.

Very common, especially at high miles. Carbon knock, piston slap, and valvetrain noises are often mis-diagnosed...

My 92 Suburban big block popped an exhaust manifold bolt after a few years. It makes a startup tap for a minute then goes away. I never fixed it, harmless IMO.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It's just piston slap, harmless and just their design.

Oils usually can't do anything about Chevy piston slap, but member Turk on here has quieted down his Chevy 6.0L with Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40. It's certified for gasoline engines as well.

And you know this how? He clearly states it probably isn't piston slap. Keep on padding your post count.

I would try a couple of fills on a cheaper HMO than Mobil 1. I would opt for Quakerstate Defy, Mobil Super HMO, or Valvoline Maxlife.

the ticking is pretty normal for those engines. I would use Pennzoil HM. Little thicker for a 5w-30 and would work well with your engine. Napa Gold is good, you could also use Fram TG or even the classic design delcos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back