Recommendation on mileage for first oil/filter change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's new and I just turned 1000 miles. Toyota 4.7 liter V8. At what mileage would you recommend changing the oil and filter for the first time? I was thinking about going to 3000 miles and then change it every 3-4K miles in the future. Don't yell at me I tried the search feature and that dog won't hunt
smile.gif
Thanks for your thoughts.

I would have changed it at 500 miles but do it now.

There are inpurities from the manufacturing process left in new engines. It's best to get that crap out sooner than the first regular oil change interval.

quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:
It's new and I just turned 1000 miles. Toyota 4.7 liter V8. At what mileage would you recommend changing the oil and filter for the first time? I was thinking about going to 3000 miles and then change it every 3-4K miles in the future. Don't yell at me I tried the search feature and that dog won't hunt
smile.gif
Thanks for your thoughts.

My Supra's oil (RL 10W-30) get's changed at about 1k mi. (because it hits the 1 yr mark)

I'd go ahead and change it out now, and then do it again at around the 3,000 mile mark. The engine manufacturing process has surely improved, but it makes me more comfortable after a couple of oil change "flushes".

fruit.gif

If you do a UOA on your factory fill I bet you wouldn't find as much wear metals in there as you think. I bet you could go to 3000 miles on the factory fill and the amount of wear metals would still be fairly reasonable.

Many new engine manufactures use camshaft and valve mechanisms coatings( moly and/or??) to enhance breakin. Change too early and it can/will be dentramental to engine life. I'd follow the manufactures recomendatings. The oid idea of the first change at 100,500 or even a 1000 miles is 30 years old and probably is not good today. wish this site used a spell checker O-Well bear with me Ed

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
Many new engine manufactures use camshaft and valve mechanisms coatings( moly and/or??) to enhance breakin. Change too early and it can/will be dentramental to engine life. I'd follow the manufactures recomendatings. The oid idea of the first change at 100,500 or even a 1000 miles is 30 years old and probably is not good today. wish this site used a spell checker O-Well bear with me Ed

not changing out break in oil early is blasphemous on this site. just like the 3k changer.
lol.gif

quote:

not changing out break in oil early is blasphemous on this site. just like the 3k changer.
lol.gif
[/QB]

The funny thing I notice on this site is that many many people use M1 oil or other synthetic and change it out every 5k according to the UOA's which does not seem much better than a 3k dino change to me.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
If you do a UOA on your factory fill I bet you wouldn't find as much wear metals in there as you think. I bet you could go to 3000 miles on the factory fill and the amount of wear metals would still be fairly reasonable.

Maybe so, maybe not. Why gamble? Most of you seem willing to pay the price of an oil and filter change for an oil analysis (and not the $9 I pay to MTM/OilGuard). Just change the oil and filter! Engines are expensive; oil and filters are not.

In my new Porsche Cayenne Turbo, I changed O&F at 33, c. 200, and c. 2000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffrey Behr:
Originally posted by Patman:
[qb]

In my new Porsche Cayenne Turbo, I changed O&F at 33, c. 200, and c. 2000 miles.
WOW, I did the wifes 350Z at 1200 miles but thought at the time it might not be the right thing to do?? I was going to do the new Toyota V8 at 3000 miles. I figured this would be a good place to ask "WHY"?? it would be a good thing or a bad thing to change early. So far a mixed result with mostly why not change answers and some it might not be a good thing answers. Does anyone have any facts that support early change being a good thing?

The Toyota 4.7L V8 posts some of the best numbers in terms of wear in the UOA section, with ANY oil. Just change it out with a good dino oil now and then switch to Synthetic at 5K, or so.

Check out the UOA section on the Toyota 4.7L V8. It may very well be the best made engine today.

quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:
Does anyone have any facts that support early change being a good thing?

Raw data? Yes. Check over all UOAs of factory fills and you'll see inordinately higher wear metals during the first 20K or so of an engine 's life. Things are breaking in=more initial wear.

I believe the Moly debate is overrated, too. Pennzoil uses a decent amount of Moly, so if not having Moly in the oil is a concern use PZ with short OCI's during the first few K.

I do agree with Patman that things are better now. Better machining processes mean less metals in the break-in oil. Most wear happens on an engine at the beginning of it's life, so by short changing just keeps all the wear particulate away from the fresh moving parts.

Oh and congrats on your vehicle purchase! That 4.7L is good seemingly forever. 10K oil changes on M1 show next to zero wear! This is a million mile engine design without a doubt!

Pitbull said "Does anyone have any facts that support early change being a good thing?"

There's one situation that calls for NOT changing early--SPECIAL break-in oil from the factory. I've read that VW and/or Audi uses special oil that ought not to be drained early. Also, someone told me Porsche uses a special M1 0W-40 for break-in that ought not to be drained early. However, I simply don't believe that to be fact.

Subaru, Saab and some other manufactures state and state "NOT to change oil before 1,000 or 1,500 miles and recomend 3,000 miles." They obiviously have enought stastical data to back up that recomendation. I keep my vehicles a long time and I don't have the time or money to generate any significant data to oppose manufactures recomendations. Ed
nono.gif

My first brand new car, a Subaru Justy many, many moons ago, actually had small metal slivers in the engine oil when I checked it at around 1000 miles. I guess the above statement would be pretty true for them. Every since then, ANY new car gets changed out by 1500.

Maniac (good name for anyone on these forums),

since no experts chimed in to answer your question, I will give it a stab.

New engine bearings, cylinders, etc. have a VERY fine "scored" finish on them when brand new. During break in, these parts "run in" together and the "rough" edges are polished off, more or less. This run in sort of mates these parts together for good longevity, sealing., etc., if break in occurs properly.

Today's engines are finished much better than a few years ago and less break in is required. Most vehicles don't require break in oil and some even come new with synthetic oil.

What is break in oil? I believe it is an oil that is "less slippery" (less anti-friction additives) so that the polishing action can take place.

My new John Deere tractors come with a break in oil and they say that changing to a regular oil too soon can prevent proper piston ring sealing.

Hope this helps.

Honda uses a "break in" oil, and it has almost as much moly, as redline does. Since moly is a FM, I have to disagree on the lack of FM's in a break in oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back