Recommendation on brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom's Camry has them in the front and they seem to squeek when there is moisture or when the air is humid. So in my opinion go with something else. I don't know how much the Thermoquiets are but you can get a set of Hawk HPS for around $50 on Amazon. I put them on my Civic before I crashed it and they had a nice bite over OEM.

I'm sure they are worth the xtra money, but someone will chime in about their performance.

Off Topic - Offer expires 4/30/09
Purchase Wagner ThermoQuiet or Wagner EDGE Brake Pads or Shoes get a $15 rebate for one (1) set, or a $30 rebate for two (2) sets of brake pads.

I found them to be a little too dusty. I like the Bendix Titaniumetallic II's a lot more.

Buy ceramic pads, any name brand should do for your application.
If it were a Corvette or Porshe, I would be more picky, but for a small passenger car any good ceramic pad will provide good service. Long life, good stopping, and less brake dust.

I have the Wagner Thermoquiet on my Grand Prix. I used them first on the front and really liked them (quiet with good braking, no dust) so I also put them on the rear. They've been on the front of my car for a few years since the car had about 65k miles on it. The car currently has 105k miles on it and they have lots of pad left.

Ther is a huge drawback on ceramic brake pads,eat up rotors and take a long time to break in.Wagner Thermoquiets are great breakpads.It does determin the vehicle is used for.For example,a middle of the line pad is recomended for delivering mail and papers.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Ther is a huge drawback on ceramic brake pads,eat up rotors and take a long time to break in.Wagner Thermoquiets are great breakpads.It does determin the vehicle is used for.For example,a middle of the line pad is recomended for delivering mail and papers.

They eat rotors?

Would that be more of a big car problem?

It is the pad eating the rotors.My father has seen ceramic pads eating up rotors and threw the rotors way replacing them.Ceramic pads are noisy too

Any premium pad with more 'bite' to it is going to be harder on rotors.
The pad ratings are on the side. D,E,F,G,H are letters likely to be seen. It will read like a multigrade oil: EF, FF, or any combination.
The first letter is for warm [200F], the second is for hot [600F]performance [friction coefficient].
So a GG pad will grab better warm or hot than an EF pad.
More rotor wear is possible, but it should not be enough to warrant slipperier brake pads. Always get the best pad you can.

If the place sells magner they should sell satisfied. I use the satisfied ceramic pads, and theyre pretty good. No noise, and smooth stopping with good pedal feel.

Bendix CT-3 (come with a 1 time free replacement certificate), PBR/Axxis ULT, Centric Posi Ceramic, Centric Semi-Metallic or Bendix Semi-Metallic TitaniuMetallic II Imay also come with a free 1 time replacement certificate).

Do not believe Advanced and AutoZone's liftime warranty on their brake pads.Their lifetime warranty is one time use only

Do not believe Advanced and AutoZone's liftime warranty on their brake pads.Their lifetime warranty is one time use only

Bendix provides the certificate directly from the manufacture, not the retailer.

I really like the Akebono ceramic pads I'm using, and have none of the problems that were previously discussed in this thread. I switched to them because the Pagid pads I had were generating lots of dust -- I hated them.

I don't know whether ceramic pads are the best for all cars, perhaps they're not. But they have nice progressive stopping power, and stop NOW if you really need to stop NOW. Otherwise they are long-lasting too. Finally, based on the current condition, when I do replace the pads I don't think I will need to replace the rotors -- I've done this automatically in the past but I will really take a close look the next time.

I suggest you call AutoZone for the CORRECT answer.

Also, while we're at it, can you provide reference to your "fact" that Chrysler approves Lubegard/Dexron in their trannys?

And,......oh, never mind.

If your rotors are damaged then when replacing pads you should replace the rotors. But you do not need special rotors for ceramic pads. I would go with one or two steps up from the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back