recommendation on ball joints for an old Mazda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all -

'97 Mazda MPV, 2WD (RWD), 335K km (> 200K miles)

Broken & separated ball joint on passenger side!

I'm looking for advice on what's a good replacement part (balancing availability, quality, and price).

NAPA locally has only the part for the 4WD, which is quite a bit different.

On-line choices (in every case, LCA w/ ball joint):

Beck-Arnley 102-4528 $103.84

Dorman 520-830 $103.68

Mevotek GK9651 $61.53

Mevotek CMK9651 $129.46

All prices are in C$.

Thoughts on any of the above? I do prefer to buy CAN/US/1st-world-manufactured parts when possible.

Thanks in advance!

Do you need to repair it right away? I would check rockauto if you can wait. We get ripped off with prices for those small parts.

It looks like a lower front control arm, with the ball joint included, is all that RockAuto can do for you, too. A Beck-Arnley control arm, in "daily driver" quality, is $58 (U.S.) RockAuto Mazda MPV Control Arm and it's another $15 (U.S.) to get to Winnepeg in a week or so, if you can make-do without the vehicle for that long.

Last edited:
Moog in Problem Solver series - you'll get a 555 Sankei as Trav mentioned. Otherwise, I'd look for OEM.

Those are all made in china/turkey/czech so unless you go OEM, which would probably be Japan, I don't know of any USA made ones. JTC1566 is the TRW replacement, that might have a better chance of higher quality manufacturing.

Last edited:
I'd stay away from Dorman and Mevotek if it is going into a car to be kept for long. B&A may be a hit or miss but I'd not want to ship something so heavy back.

Moog problem solver would be your best bet other than OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back