Recommendation for Mercedes AMG engine w/aggressive cams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost being no object, what would be the best engine oil for engine protection & longevity (semi or fully-synthetic) for a Mercedes AMG engine w/aggressive cams that is regularly shifted at redline (7500 RPMs)?

I've tried Mobil 1 15w-50 @ 5000-miles service; Delvac 1 5w-40 @ 5000-miles service; and Chevron Delo 400 at 3000-miles service.

My commute is ONLY 10-minutes (5-miles) BUT heavy acceleration.

Also, what about those "paper-towel/toilet-paper oil by-pass filters)? My sump holds 6.5-liters of oil.

Thanks in advance,
:) neil

[ September 12, 2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: M104-AMG ]

quote:

Originally posted by M104-AMG:
Cost being no object, what would be the best engine oil for engine protection & longevity (semi or fully-synthetic) for a Mercedes AMG engine w/aggressive cams that is regularly shifted at redline (7500 RPMs)?

I've tried Mobil 1 15w-50 @ 5000-miles service; Delvac 1 5w-40 @ 5000-miles service; and Chevron Delo 400 at 3000-miles service.

My commute is ONLY 10-minutes (5-miles) BUT heavy acceleration.

Also, what about those "paper-towel/toilet-paper oil by-pass filters)? My sump holds 6.5-liters of oil.

What does the factory recommend? I'd use a group IV synthetic of the factory recommended weight that meets or exceeds their spec. Then I'd get a UOA at 1/2 of the factory recommended change interval to see how the oil's doing. I'd set the oil change interval based on the UOA.

Did you get UOAs for the oils you used?

i would be using either some of the Castrol TWS 10w=60 that BMW uses for its high-revving M3 engines, OR, order some AGIP 5w-50 Eurosport OR, AGIP 10w-60 syn oil. The AGIP is really priced well. However, the shipping pushes the price up to like $6 a quart. OTOH,

if price is no object then id go with FUCH's SILKOLENE. comes in a 5w-40 and a 10w-50 (i think. may be a 15w-50). can be had at raceshopper.com/oil.shtml. its $60 for 5 litres however! id go with eitehr the above or some Shaeffers 15w-40 or AMsoil 15w-40. syn.

That type of abuse, definently stay with a synthetic. With that being said, Mobil 1 15W-50 has my vote. You said you've "tried" it. You didn't like it? Or had a bad UOA because of it? What gives???

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
Red Line 10w40.

I'd definitely go for this over Mobil 1 15w50. Mobil 1 15w50 tends to thin out to a 15w40 anyways, while Redline 10w40 will remain pretty rock solid. Amsoil 10w40 would also be a good choice here too.

I am not sure I'd recommend a bypass filter for a hard driven application like that though.

[ September 12, 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I am not sure I'd recommend a bypass filter for a hard driven application like that though.

Why?Truckers use bypass filters.They stand on the throttle more than any application I can think of.
If you had a block-off plate in place of the full flow filter,there would be almost zero restriction in your flow/pressure.

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:

quote:

Why?Truckers use bypass filters.They stand on the throttle more than any application I can think of.
If you had a block-off plate in place of the full flow filter,there would be almost zero restriction in your flow/pressure.

One problem I have with bypass filters in an application like that would be the chance (albeit slight) that with all that extra plumbing, something could come apart, and the last thing you need is to lose a 600hp engine because you had major oil loss.

And I just can't get it out of my head that these bypass filters are going to be more restrictive than a pure racing type of full flow oil filter.

One thing I didn't mention before, but I'm kinda shocked that it holds only 6.5L of oil, when other Mercedes engines hold 8L or more. I figured AMG would have put in a bigger oil pan on these things for sure.

Whatever the manual calls for, no if, ands or buts about it. AMG does not care about CAFE or anything, they produce high performance MB and will recommend what is best for their engines. Be very careful what you read on this site, there are too many "experts" here that are just giving opinions but stating them as if they are facts. If you don't have a owner manual, call AMG directly. I worked for BMW for years and have owned a couple "M" cars and they, like AMG, have differnent specification for the HP version then the OEM vehicle they spawn from. If you have a brand new AMG then get off this site before you are brainwasshed into making a mistake.

quote:

Originally posted by dagmando:
Whatever the manual calls for, no if, ands or buts about it. AMG does not care about CAFE or anything, they produce high performance MB and will recommend what is best for their engines. Be very careful what you read on this site, there are too many "experts" here that are just giving opinions but stating them as if they are facts. If you don't have a owner manual, call AMG directly. I worked for BMW for years and have owned a couple "M" cars and they, like AMG, have differnent specification for the HP version then the OEM vehicle they spawn from. If you have a brand new AMG then get off this site before you are brainwasshed into making a mistake.

If you don't believe anything we have to say on here, why do you read this site?
rolleyes.gif

I'm glad cost is no object...because with driving habbits like that, you're going to need a new engine early no matter what oil you use.
AMG Benz or not, that's alot of abuse on a cold engine & oil.

I agree completely with dagmando and G-Man II. If you can document using the factory-fill oil (or revised otherwise subject to notification from MB/AMG), there can be no question of improper oil usage in the event of a true oil-related warranty claim. If you want to experiment after the warranty is up, though, try SuperTech 5W-30 dino*. By the way, what's the powertrain warranty on AMGs, anyway?

*I think the original post is just as bogus, too.

[ September 12, 2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

I would use M1 0w-40.
But whatever oil is being used it will not get up to temp in such a short time and the abuse the motor is taking is a shame.
Reminds me of the saying " A fool and his money are soon parted"

quote:

Originally posted by Patmam [/qb]

And I just can't get it out of my head that these bypass filters are going to be more restrictive than a pure racing type of full flow oil filter.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

I hope a bypass filter is more restrictive than a full flow racing filter. Either a full flow or a full flow block off plate has to be on the engine. The bypass is an add on system and uses a restrictor to limit the oil flow through the filter. It is not required by the engine, nor would the engine care if it plugged up. Many engines that use bypass filters cost more than this grocery-getter, abeit a fast moving one to do a job that a Mazda or Kia could do.

crushedcar.gif

quote:

quote:

If you don't believe anything we have to say on here, why do you read this site?
rolleyes.gif

Some of you founding fathers of the site need to lighten up ------- it was his opinion, and I can see where he is coming from.
twak.gif

Always assure car is well warmed up before "heavy acceleration".

My expert opinion is Amsoil Series 2000 20W-50 Racing Oil.

JAX = Jacksonville, FL?

[ September 12, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Originally posted by badnews:

quote:

quote:

rolleyes.gif

Some of you founding fathers of the site need to lighten up ------- it was his opinion, and I can see where he is coming from.
twak.gif

I don't feel the need to lighten up at all, I saw his post as being a direct attack on the regular posters of this site!! The last line of his post especially, if he feels people are being brainwashed in here, I think his attitude stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back