Recommendation for Fiesta ST 1.6L Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Getting a new car soon. Been an occasional reader/lurker for a few years now. Been driving mostly second hand cars which have ranged from Camry, 350Z, MR2, E90 325i, among other varieties. This will be the first time purchasing a brand new car, so I'm nervous about break in, which oil to use, etc. But I'll leave the oil selection and OCI to you guys
smile.gif
. Please also recommend me weight of oil, as 5W20 feels kinda thin to me for a turbo motor.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2013 Ford Fiesta ST

1.6L Ecoboost Engine (just a fancy name for direct injection turbo)

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
Motorcraft SAE 5W20 Premium Synthetic Blend
Quick google gave me the following data sheet: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...20Synthetic.pdf
For those lazy to click: API SN, GF-5

3. Where you live
China, about 2 and half hours from Shanghai. Will pollution about 1/3 time of the year. Weather is quite humid and ranges from -2C to 5C in winter and 25C to 40C in summer. I work in an industrial area, so will be quite dusty as well.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Spirited. Car will see redline minimum 2 times a day. I've also a habit of going to the mountain roads for a few runs on every other weekend.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
30 min drive in the morning with light traffic, only 5 min of highway but a lot of traffic lights. 50min to 1+ hours after work during rush hour. Stop and go mostly. 6 days work week.

6. Whether your car has any known problems.
According to various reviews and forums, unable to resist urge to step on the gas pedal
grin.gif

Thanks for your feedback guys! Cheers.

Originally Posted By: XuperXero
Hi all,

Getting a new car soon. Been an occasional reader/lurker for a few years now. Been driving mostly second hand cars which have ranged from Camry, 350Z, MR2, E90 325i, among other varieties. This will be the first time purchasing a brand new car, so I'm nervous about break in, which oil to use, etc. But I'll leave the oil selection and OCI to you guys
smile.gif
. Please also recommend me weight of oil, as 5W20 feels kinda thin to me for a turbo motor.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2013 Ford Fiesta ST

1.6L Ecoboost Engine (just a fancy name for direct injection turbo)

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
Motorcraft SAE 5W20 Premium Synthetic Blend
Quick google gave me the following data sheet: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...20Synthetic.pdf
For those lazy to click: API SN, GF-5

3. Where you live
China, about 2 and half hours from Shanghai. Will pollution about 1/3 time of the year. Weather is quite humid and ranges from -2C to 5C in winter and 25C to 40C in summer. I work in an industrial area, so will be quite dusty as well.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Spirited. Car will see redline minimum 2 times a day. I've also a habit of going to the mountain roads for a few runs on every other weekend.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
30 min drive in the morning with light traffic, only 5 min of highway but a lot of traffic lights. 50min to 1+ hours after work during rush hour. Stop and go mostly. 6 days work week.

6. Whether your car has any known problems.
According to various reviews and forums, unable to resist urge to step on the gas pedal
grin.gif

Thanks for your feedback guys! Cheers.

China? If so give us options on what's available to you.

Full Synthetic in my opinion.

Full Syn IMO as well
coffee2.gif

MC's Full Syn
Pennzoil's Platinum or Ultra, or whatever they've been renamed
smile.gif

All the good Full syn's, Kendall, Mobil 1's, etc
An OEM FL-910s filter will suit as well
Do enjoy the new ride, I've had my eye on the Focii/Fiestii ST's.

welcome2.gif

Edit: O Canada! Your up there
Well that makes most of us irrelevant due to local market selection. I'm not sure if these are available up there. Local's please do chime in.

Last edited:
The engine was designed for 5w/20, so I'd suggest sticking with that. You should do so to keep your warranty intact, anyway.

With DI and and a turbo, the feeling here seems to favor a full synthetic oil with low TEOST (high temperature deposits) and low Noack (volatility). These are not easy specs to find, but in the US Pennzoil Ultra seems to do well on both counts. Elsewhere in the world, I believe it is marketed as Shell Helix Ultra, but most of us here have little idea what oils are available in China.

If you'd like to look at spec sheets for Shell products, and compare Helix Ultra to Ultra, go to epc.shell.com. This should also tell what what Shellproducts are available in China.

Welcome to the Forum.

IF it was my vehicle, I'd run a Pennzoil or Mobil 1 synthetic to protect the turbo: 0W-20 weight in the winter and a 30-weight in the summer.

I have a Fiesta ST (great car and i love it). you should go over to Fiestast.org they have a lot of good advice on what to do to a new motor to break it in. On my car i did a oil change with the stock oil and filter at 200 miles and again at 2500 miles. at 6k i will move over to Pennzoil Ultra 5w20.

I did my first synthetic change (2nd overall change) yesterday.

M1 5w20 EP
Purolator L20195 Filter

The first change was 5w20 semisyn motorcraft with L20195 and was run for 3900 miles... UOA going to blackstone tonight

Run a full-synthetic to help handle the turbo charging and DI. Any major brand will do.

At the bare minimum, stick with a syn blend, such as the OEM Motorcraft.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

China? If so give us options on what's available to you.

Full Synthetic in my opinion.

Pretty much anything. All available for purchase online.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Full Syn IMO as well
coffee2.gif

MC's Full Syn
Pennzoil's Platinum or Ultra, or whatever they've been renamed
smile.gif

All the good Full syn's, Kendall, Mobil 1's, etc
An OEM FL-910s filter will suit as well
Do enjoy the new ride, I've had my eye on the Focii/Fiestii ST's.

welcome2.gif

Edit: O Canada! Your up there
Well that makes most of us irrelevant due to local market selection. I'm not sure if these are available up there. Local's please do chime in.

I'm a Canadian working in China. So location should actually be in China.

Originally Posted By: Danh
The engine was designed for 5w/20, so I'd suggest sticking with that. You should do so to keep your warranty intact, anyway.

With DI and and a turbo, the feeling here seems to favor a full synthetic oil with low TEOST (high temperature deposits) and low Noack (volatility). These are not easy specs to find, but in the US Pennzoil Ultra seems to do well on both counts. Elsewhere in the world, I believe it is marketed as Shell Helix Ultra, but most of us here have little idea what oils are available in China.

If you'd like to look at spec sheets for Shell products, and compare Helix Ultra to Ultra, go to epc.shell.com. This should also tell what what Shellproducts are available in China.

Good point on warranty. I'll look into TEOST and Noack, thanks for this info!

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Welcome to the Forum.

IF it was my vehicle, I'd run a Pennzoil or Mobil 1 synthetic to protect the turbo: 0W-20 weight in the winter and a 30-weight in the summer.

Thanks for the welcome and suggestion. I was also considering 30 weight in summer as it gets quite hot during summer.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
Dont say motorcraft or everybody will jump down your throat. Use pp and nobody will say a word.

I lol'ed. I'm eye'ing PP myself.

Originally Posted By: Vixenlotus
I have a Fiesta ST (great car and i love it). you should go over to Fiestast.org they have a lot of good advice on what to do to a new motor to break it in. On my car i did a oil change with the stock oil and filter at 200 miles and again at 2500 miles. at 6k i will move over to Pennzoil Ultra 5w20.

How does it drive? They don't allow test drives on imported cars so I haven't even driven it yet! Picking up the car tomorrow! Bit nervous on the stiffness of the suspension as some roads here can be unsettling. Also, fiestast.org is mostly US spec Fiestas. Mine's Euro spec (3 dr version and MAF sensor instead of US spec's MAP).

Originally Posted By: Jeffry
I did my first synthetic change (2nd overall change) yesterday.

M1 5w20 EP
Purolator L20195 Filter

The first change was 5w20 semisyn motorcraft with L20195 and was run for 3900 miles... UOA going to blackstone tonight

Any results from blackstone? I'm interested to see the results. Apparently this oil isn't too bad.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Run a full-synthetic to help handle the turbo charging and DI. Any major brand will do.

At the bare minimum, stick with a syn blend, such as the OEM Motorcraft.

Thanks for your feedback, will take into consideration!

Originally Posted By: wemay
Edge w/ti did best in a frequently sited TEOST test discussed here but any major will do, im sure. If an ST were my next car, the Fiesta would be it. Enjoy!

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

I'm still a bit concerned about their changeover of names and perhaps formula, still quite a new oil.

But great link on the test results. Although there could be marketing gimmick if Amsoil comes up top almost every test.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. So far I've already decided on using OEM filter. Still torn between oil brands. PP seems to be heavily favoured here for price/quality value.

Can't go wrong with PP.

Also I'm surprised at the 5w20 recommendation particularly for an 'international' model, but then again not so much.

5w20 is the new 10w30- relatively low VI spread (relative to other moderns oils) and 'straighter'. The evolution of old 5w20s vs new 5w20s are very much like that of 10w30s of the past and present - made with increasingly better base stocks that make achieving the correct viscometrics a breeze without much reliance on PI additive corrections

As most others have suggested stick with the 5W-20 grade and there is no need to run a heavier grade in the summer months, the electronic management systems will effectively deal with the possibly high oil temp's.

You can't go wrong with the OEM Motorcraft oil although a full syn' would be preferable. Motorcraft does offer a full syn version in the 5W-20 grade.
Since this is a DI engine, in an aftermarket OTC oil I'd likely lean in favour of Castrol Edge for it's very low deposit rating.

This might be the only ecoboost that recommends 5W20. The others all call for 5W30.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Can't go wrong with PP.

Also I'm surprised at the 5w20 recommendation particularly for an 'international' model, but then again not so much.

5w20 is the new 10w30- relatively low VI spread (relative to other moderns oils) and 'straighter'. The evolution of old 5w20s vs new 5w20s are very much like that of 10w30s of the past and present - made with increasingly better base stocks that make achieving the correct viscometrics a breeze without much reliance on PI additive corrections

That is interesting. I did not know that. Guess I'm still a bit old fashioned.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
As most others have suggested stick with the 5W-20 grade and there is no need to run a heavier grade in the summer months, the electronic management systems will effectively deal with the possibly high oil temp's.

You can't go wrong with the OEM Motorcraft oil although a full syn' would be preferable. Motorcraft does offer a full syn version in the 5W-20 grade.
Since this is a DI engine, in an aftermarket OTC oil I'd likely lean in favour of Castrol Edge for it's very low deposit rating.

I think I need to install an oil temp gauge just to make sure.

I'm also highly biased against selection of oil for OEM application for high performance driving. Sure, for a daily driving that sees no redline, I'm all in for OEM oil, but not for a car that'll see redline everyday.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
This might be the only ecoboost that recommends 5W20. The others all call for 5W30.

That is an interesting observation...

Without further ado, I've gotten my car today and after speaking to a few locals, it seems I'll go PP. It's the cheapest imported oil compared to other brands and heavily favoured here. Thanks for all your help guys! I'll lurk around and contribute more often!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back