Recommendation for 01 F150 4x4 5.4l w/ 99k

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member, thanks in advance for your input.

Planning my next oil change. Some time ago I had stopped using the mfr recommended 5W-20 oil based on high usage between changes. I have ahd good results with Amsoil Synthetic 0W-30, but the same issue with usage as I believe I had made a poor selection with 0W in the summer time in the Northeast. However, I will post that UOA shortly. I recently used a Brad Penn 10W-30, however, I did not realize that this oil may not be good for my catalytic converter. No UOA results for the Brad Penn as I had to add a different oil out of necessity. Only observation was a slightly higher oil pressure - and that may have just been me looking for some discernible improvement. I do think the truck ran well with the BPenn.

My driving, mostly around town, but I do some highway driving and I tow a bass boat 50 miles one-way on average twice a month. My driving style would be considered as conservative.

I have enjoyed using this site for information and I am now a member. I'm curious what recommendations some of you would have given my set up.

My current choice is the Amsoil Synthetic 10W-30 based on the low noack volatility and decent TBN.

Thanks you.

Originally Posted By: Scraps
New member, thanks in advance for your input.

Planning my next oil change. Some time ago I had stopped using the mfr recommended 5W-20 oil based on high usage between changes. I have ahd good results with Amsoil Synthetic 0W-30, but the same issue with usage as I believe I had made a poor selection with 0W in the summer time in the Northeast. However, I will post that UOA shortly. I recently used a Brad Penn 10W-30, however, I did not realize that this oil may not be good for my catalytic converter. No UOA results for the Brad Penn as I had to add a different oil out of necessity. Only observation was a slightly higher oil pressure - and that may have just been me looking for some discernible improvement. I do think the truck ran well with the BPenn.

My driving, mostly around town, but I do some highway driving and I tow a bass boat 50 miles one-way on average twice a month. My driving style would be considered as conservative.

I have enjoyed using this site for information and I am now a member. I'm curious what recommendations some of you would have given my set up.

My current choice is the Amsoil Synthetic 10W-30 based on the low noack volatility and decent TBN.

Thanks you.

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

If your consumption stopped with the 10W30, then I think it's a great choice for your truck. Personally, I don't worry about converters going bad on HDEO or higher ZDDP oils. It will still last a long time.

One thing I would do, is continue running 5W20, 5W30, or 0W30 in winter. That will offer the best cold starting. I'm running Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 in my '03 5.4L, and with 4200+ miles into this OCI, I haven't seen any oil usage.

I think the 10w30 is a excellent choice especially since you tow. I dont think it will ever get cold enough unless your planning a trip to Anartica, for cold starts to become a issue. I grew up in Pa, I spent 35+ years there and 10w30 wont hurt a thing. Was that the Brad Penn green oil or regular SM oil. Gotta be careful on thier oil. They have some that are for racing and although I doubt it would hurt your emmission control equipment, it would not really be benefically to your truck for the price of it.

The Brad Penn was the green oil. I'm curious with waht might nto be beneficial to my engine? It was around $4/qt, so not cheap.

I would say the Green oil wouldnt have alot of detergents(as much as the SM oil) and Id say it is alot thicker. Basically its a racing oil that is made and designed for short intervals of serious abuse.

Seeing how your truck IS using some oil, I too would stay clear of the higher zinc oils.

I think the 10w30 Amsoil would be a great choice for you. Depending on your oil change interval, and mileage, consider the XL line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back