Recommend to stay or switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Hyundai 2.4L
~95% highway miles (mainly to/from work, no hills to speak of).

I'm about to hit 120k on the clock. Been using PYB 5w-30 (cap has 5w-20) since around 60k on the odometer. 5k OCIs with OEM filters. Do not have to add any for the 5k duration.
Debating to try a HM oil, try something different, or just stay with PYB.

I gave my last couple jug's of PYB to a neighbor since he was short on cash but needed to do OCs on his 2 vehicles (his and wife).
So now I need to buy oil this week for an OC next weekend. Seems a good time to go HM, or?
Thanks for recommendations.

35.gif

Using a HM oil to fix what consumption or leaking issue? If there isn't anything there is no reason to use it. I would go synthetic if you want a change. Doesn't matter what age and miles to switch to syn.

If the oil you've been using seems just fine, then just keep using it.
I hope that you at least got something in return from your neighbor.
I'd expect a grass cutting or around here a driveway clearing on the next snowy day.
Things that don't cost money but are a way of paying you back.
It would also depend, to me, why they were short of money.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If the oil you've been using seems just fine, then just keep using it.
I hope that you at least got something in return from your neighbor.
I'd expect a grass cutting or around here a driveway clearing on the next snowy day.
Things that don't cost money but are a way of paying you back.
It would also depend, to me, why they were short of money.

From Wiki:
Generosity (also called largess) is the virtue of not being tied down by concerns about one's possessions.[1] Often it means to provide help to others by giving them an (usually precious) item without thinking twice.

Clearly, a virtue you do not possess.

Give only under expectations of getting is the exact opposite of how one should behave.... And also why this world is so messed up....

Not that you care, but yes, you are selfish.

Stick with your current oil until you see a need to do otherwise.

Last edited:
Yeah, I do oil changes for friends and in laws and I'm on the barter system. It works out for both parties as I'm glad I don't have to worry about blown engines and know the vehicle will last a long while. That's happiness
smile.gif

Alright... no issues, no leaks, no topping the oil, I guess I'll go get a few jugs of PYB in the morning and be done with it. Just lately the thought of switching crossed my mind, no particular reason.
Thanks for the replies.

You seem quick to judge those you have no knowledge of.
You have no idea how much free work I've done for people in need yet you call me selfish.
I don't help those who've made their own problems. They need to work those out on their own and to help them is to be a sucker, a trick or an enabler.
There is a word for people like you as well.

Could, with the $2/qt rebate, might not even be a big price differences. PP is what, $25 at Walmart for a 5qt jug? PYB is like $16. So the PP comes to $15. Worth a shot, probably double the OCI maybe.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Alright... no issues, no leaks, no topping the oil, I guess I'll go get a few jugs of PYB in the morning and be done with it. Just lately the thought of switching crossed my mind, no particular reason.
Thanks for the replies.

No need to add oil between OCI.
And your on a winner.
Sensible decision to stick with what you know is working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back