Recommend oil for a 01 Suburban 5.3 235K miles ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read the oil should be fine. As others mentioned I'd stay clear of a Purolator filter.

Originally Posted By: GMguy84
Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I have about the same set up : 2002 suburban 5.3 : 210,000 miles. Honestly these things aren't very picky about oil. I change it every 5000 miles and run maxlife or Napa syn 5w-30, works great. If yours is a slapper I would stick with the 5W something. when I run the heavier stuff the slapping seems to last a little longer on start up. Btw a PF- 61 oil filter is larger and should fit just fine.

Thanks and yes its a LOUD slapper on start up in the winter cold months. It doesn't slap now in the summer heat. I was told NOT to run 5W-30 due to the high miles ??

Ya I wanted to try the PF-61 filter, but I heard those don't have a ADBV and the delco filters are [censored] now ???
You might want to listen a little closer, there's a good chance your engine still slaps on start-up in the summer as well. Its just worse in cold weather. You'll get diff. Opinions on the oil weight to use. If it's not burning oil or using oil I would stick with 30wt. This engine will run fine on 30 or 40wt. Does it use oil ? I use the orig. PF-61 non e core. Solid filter https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1773997 5w-30 high mileage would be a good option too. Btw a friend has a 2001 Silverado 5.3 with 312k. He runs supertech 5w-30 high mileage

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back