Recommend my OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,I am a long time lurker and first time poster.Hopefully I will sound intelligent enough to do so.Anyway,I drive a 2007 GMC Sierra reg cab long box with a 4.8l. My daily drive is 13 miles with an average speed of about 45mph.I live in upstate NY so it can be cold at times during the winter.I am currently running Havoline DS. I have a stash of more DS,Valvoline dino and Synpower 4718M. I am currently doing 3000 mi OCI which equates to around 4 months.What would eveyone recommend?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You should extend your OCI to 5-6k miles with brand name dino's and use Synpower in winter.

I like that one the best
01.gif

But the OLM is usually the best way to go.

Originally Posted By: karld
Hello,I am a long time lurker and first time poster.Hopefully I will sound intelligent enough to do so.Anyway,I drive a 2007 GMC Sierra reg cab long box with a 4.8l. My daily drive is 13 miles with an average speed of about 45mph.I live in upstate NY so it can be cold at times during the winter.I am currently running Havoline DS. I have a stash of more DS,Valvoline dino and Synpower 4718M. I am currently doing 3000 mi OCI which equates to around 4 months.What would eveyone recommend?

Nice truck. Is it a 2007 Classic(GMT800)Sierra or is it the New Body Style(GMT900)2007 model? I had a NBS 07 Silverado w/ 5.3L for about a year.

You can extend that 3K out to 5-6K and be just fine. You should have an OLM as well and you can go by that too. My Silverado w/ the OLM was around 35%+/- at the 5K mark when I chose to do my OC's.

I assume you are running 5W-30? Run whatever brand you want as long as it meets GM6094M( oil standard that applies to your vehicle Classic or NBS )and has the API Starburst. If you see really cold winter temps you could drop down to a 0W-30. I ran 5W-30 year round in my 2 5.3L Silverado's( 05 & the 07 )here in NH and never had any trouble. I run synthetic however( Royal Purple ).

Sounds like you are doing well but 3K is just a waste even with dino oil these days.Extend out to 5K or 6 months OR go by the OLM.

Thanks for the replies.The truck is a NBS GMT-900 style.MY OLM was at 46% at the last oil change.I will try to run that down farther this run. What are everyones thoughts on running the Havoline DS vs Synpower through the winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back