Recommend me an oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good for my first post. I'll list my pertinent info as 1-5 according to the post that advises how to request this. I'm currently using M1 0W20 AFE but am open to changing. My main goal here is to learn a thing or 2 rather than a just use this or that.

1. 2012 F150 5.0
2. 5W20 WSS-M2C945-A interval as recommend by the OLM which seems to run about every 10k mile
3. North Texas, DFW area
4. How do I drive? Can I pick medium on how I drive? Easier than hard but not easy.
5. Daily Drive. Varies. May be less than 50 miles in town or over 200 mostly highway
6. No known problems

I would rather use a full synthetic. Not dead set on store bought but will need a good motivator to get past what I'll call the WM Standard, the prices are hard to beat at Wal-Mart and the ease of acquisition is a big plus. Wouldn't want to go very far beyond the OEM interval simply due to it already being 10K

Bring on the info.

Great site and I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of it.

Elvis

Welcome to BITOG!

Napa Synthetic is on sale for $3.49 this month., It is rebranded Valvoline Synpower.

Of course M1 AFE is a fine choice as well.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Napa Synthetic is on sale for $3.49 this month., It is rebranded Valvoline Synpower.

Not quite. It is made by Ashland though, and looks similiar. Not quite as robust as Synpower.

There are a ton of really good 0W-20 and 5W-20 synthetics out there. PP, PU, M1 AFE, and QSUD are some of the BITOG favorites that are (mostly) available at WM. If you can stomach the cost and you can get past that 'WM Standard', Toyota's 0W-20 and Mazda's new 0W-20 are excellent.

What you refer to as the 'WM Standard' is fairly universal IMO... but if you keep your eyes open for sales and rebates (BITOG is the best resource), it isn't difficult to beat everyday WM prices.

Really can't go wrong with the MC semi-syn 5w-20.

If you want to go Synthetic, M1 Syn 5w-20 is only $5 more (a 5 quart jug) than the MC 5w-20. For $2 more, you can get AFE 0w-20

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hollow
[

Not quite. It is made by Ashland though, and looks similiar. Not quite as robust as Synpower.

They are very very close, kind of the difference between PP and QSUD

PQIA Napa

PQIA Synpower

IMHO can't beat delivered to your door, and Amsoil is a great oil. If you don't go top of the line your cost will be same as off the shelf, and fine for 10k.

What you're using (M1 0W-20 AFE) is fine - and cheap at Walmart right now. Buy a few jugs and keep using it. Or as someone else mentioned - the NAPA synthetic is on sale - that should go 10k also.

Originally Posted By: ElvisFX4
Sounds good for my first post. I'll list my pertinent info as 1-5 according to the post that advises how to request this. I'm currently using M1 0W20 AFE but am open to changing. My main goal here is to learn a thing or 2 rather than a just use this or that.

1. 2012 F150 5.0
2. 5W20 WSS-M2C945-A interval as recommend by the OLM which seems to run about every 10k mile
3. North Texas, DFW area
4. How do I drive? Can I pick medium on how I drive? Easier than hard but not easy.
5. Daily Drive. Varies. May be less than 50 miles in town or over 200 mostly highway
6. No known problems

I would rather use a full synthetic. Not dead set on store bought but will need a good motivator to get past what I'll call the WM Standard, the prices are hard to beat at Wal-Mart and the ease of acquisition is a big plus. Wouldn't want to go very far beyond the OEM interval simply due to it already being 10K

Bring on the info.

Great site and I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of it.

Elvis

Kendall GT1 w/ Liquid Titanium would be perfect for you if you can find it locally or don't mind ordering online.

If I had a Ford, for the price, I would run the MC oil and the MC filters. They are readily available (at least down here) and CYA if a warranty issue due to oil comes up (probably never will, but who knows?).

I'm not stuck on the WM Std but it seems to make a lot of sense from a price and availability standpoint. I've never had to do an emergency, right now, oil change but being able to do so with a quick drive rather than waiting for the BBT to show up is worth something nonetheless. The Kendall intrigues me because I worked in a shop where we used, read I used on my ride, their grease. Looked cleaner on wheel bearings when I had to go back in than some other greases. Very un-objective I know but it was something I was able to see. As far as price goes, I found a decent deal on Castrol Edge Titanium but am so far getting the vibe that Castrol products are not held in high regard here but understand they are preferred in many Euro cars. I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for a case of tired head.

Elvis

I'm not stuck on the WM Std but it seems to make a lot of sense from a price and availability standpoint. I've never had to do an emergency, right now, oil change but being able to do so with a quick drive rather than waiting for the BBT to show up is worth something nonetheless. The Kendall intrigues me because I worked in a shop where we used, read I used on my ride, their grease. Looked cleaner on wheel bearings when I had to go back in than some other greases. Very un-objective I know but it was something I was able to see. As far as price goes, I found a decent deal on Castrol Edge Titanium but am so far getting the vibe that Castrol products are not held in high regard here but understand they are preferred in many Euro cars. I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for a case of tired head.

Elvis

I have seen a few comments about how Castrol with titanium should be considered just as good as Ultra, EP, etc. Haven't seen much else however. I would like to see more comments about Castrol.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek

Elvis

I have seen a few comments about how Castrol with titanium should be considered just as good as Ultra, EP, etc. Haven't seen much else however. I would like to see more comments about Castrol.

Call me a DA on the acronyms but I'm assuming by EP you mean M1 EP?

Elvis

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek

Elvis

Call me a DA on the acronyms but I'm assuming by EP you mean M1 EP?

Elvis

Yes sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back