recommend me an oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Greg:
well as usual i made a last minute change since mobil 1 was on sale at wally world for 23.66, so i got some of that.
smile.gif

On sale? They didn't have that here.

I guess I'll be the only guinea pig to run the new Syntec 0w30 then. I'd better go buy some for my sister's car before I change my mind for something else!
smile.gif

yeah. i think it was more like 23.60... it only advertised 10w-30 on sale but i scanned the 5w and it came up the same price
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BrewCityR:

quote:

i'm open to any kind of oil. right now it has tech 2000 5w30.

It's tough to kill a Honda engine. My '89 Civic has had some mediocre oil and filters in its life I'm sure. 173,000 miles and still pulls strong with no major leaks (oil pan gasket appears to be leaking but no drips) or major oil consumption (maybe a 1/2 quart in the last run of Schaeffer 10w30.... 2500 miles).

Yeah, plenty of "mediocre oil and filters" in it's life, but don't forget, the oil & filter were changed every 3000 miles, almost since new. (I have inside info... That car was MINE for over 12 years!
cool.gif
) Almost ANY oil or filter will work just fine with 3k changes.

[ February 11, 2003, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: ShootingStar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:

quote:

Originally posted by ShootingStar:
Almost ANY oil or filter will work just fine with 3k changes.
Absolutely correct. The cheapest SL rated oil and even a Fram filter will get you where you want to go in terms of mileage (100,000-200,000 miles) if you change them every 3000 miles. Been proven thousands and thousands of times.
In a moderate climate, yes, I believe this to be true. However up here it's been pretty cold this winter, this morning it was only -5F for instance. In this case, "any old oil" will not protect very well. And given the number of extremely cold mornings like this, I would say that an engine running one of the crummier conventionals with poor cold weather performance, would see quite a lot of engine wear over the wintertime.

I agree, Patman. Funny how we're talking about my '89 Civic engine the past few posts.
grin.gif
Even though it is my cheap daily driver, I still will treat it with Schaeffer or an oil with a good amount of moly.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg:
so would i be safe to leave mobil 1 5w-30 and a wix filter in for 12,000 km?

I would say you'd be pretty safe with that interval. My father just finished up a 12,000km interval on 5w30 Mobil 1 in his 2001 Infiniti QX4 actually. I wish I had oil analysis results for it, but he goes to the dealer for his changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back