Recommend Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a job that is only 3 miles from my home. I plan on using my 2010 Yaris for the short trip. The Yaris has 31,000 miles and uses Mobil 1 5W30.

The Yaris is not driven often, the last Oil Change was August 2013, but only 4200 miles has been put on the car (I will do an oil change soon, by August 2014).

I currently use a Purolator Oil filter, my question is this, is there a better choice? I do not anticipate putting more than 5000 miles by August 2015.

Opinions Please

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wrf01a
I recently got a job that is only 3 miles from my home. I plan on using my 2010 Yaris for the short trip. The Yaris has 31,000 miles and uses Mobil 1 5W30.

The Yaris is not driven often, the last Oil Change was August 2013, but only 4200 miles has been put on the car (I will do an oil change soon, by August 2014).

I currently use a Purolator Oil filter, my question is this, is there a better choice? I do not anticipate putting more than 5000 miles by August 2015.

Opinions Please

Wix/NAPA Gold or Fram Ultra. For once a year, I'd pay the extra couple of dollars and go with the Ultra.

3 miles trips will be hard on your oil.

Engine will not warm up properly.

Watch for condensation in the oil and sludging...

Though, the OP didn't mention which oil they were using and due to the short trips, isn't the oil being used just as important as the filter?
smile.gif

I would suggest maybe using an oil with a high TBN to start with as fuel dilution could be an issue over time! I may have said this wrong!

Wix or NAPA Gold. The Fram Ultra would be fine too. Use a synthetic 0w-20 oil.

Can you take this car for a half-hour drive monthly to get it up to operating temperature?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Though, the OP didn't mention which oil they were using and due to the short trips, isn't the oil being used just as important as the filter?
smile.gif

I would suggest maybe using an oil with a high TBN to start with as fuel dilution could be an issue over time! I may have said this wrong!
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Use a synthetic 0w-20 oil.

+1. I see he already has an AFE horse in his stable.

Oops, I missed that!
shocked.gif

If changing it once a year, I'd recommend something with a silicone ADBV, like a Wix/Napa Gold, Denso FTF, Fram Ultra, Purolator Synthetic, etc.

I'd stay away from the PureONE and Classics until they get their tearing issue sorted out, unless using them for a very short OCI (under 3k miles).

I do appreciate all the responses.

I currently use the Fram Ultra in my Civic, I will seriously consider it for the Yaris. In fact, I will drive it to Wal-Mart to get the oil and Filter (15 miles Highway) next week. I'm a teacher so I definitely want to get the oil changed before I start using it regularly.

I saw a post concerned with the oil itself. The 0W20 is not a recommended weight for the 2010 Yaris. I would consider switching to Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance. Would that be a better choice?

I do appreciate all the responses.

I currently use the Fram Ultra in my Civic, I will seriously consider it for the Yaris. In fact, I will drive it to Wal-Mart to get the oil and Filter (15 miles Highway) next week. I'm a teacher so I definitely want to get the oil changed before I start using it regularly.

I saw a post concerned with the oil itself. The 0W20 is not a recommended weight for the 2010 Yaris. I would consider switching to Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance. Would that be a better choice?

I thought all of Toyota's cars required 0w-20 by that year. Stick with whatever your owners manual requires. Get it on the road for a good half-hour trip once a month if you can though.

OM specifies 5W-30; The ubiquitous TSB shows Echo/Yaris can use [05]W-20.

I have used 5w-20 in my echo (same engine) for years; suggest the OP use what he is comfortable using.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OM specifies 5W-30; The ubiquitous TSB shows Echo/Yaris can use [05]W-20.

I have used 5w-20 in my echo (same engine) for years; suggest the OP use what he is comfortable using.

I guess this is on topic since we all share the same engine...

How did the ECHO do on the 20 weight?

I've never used anything lighter than 5w-30 on mine

Opinions Please

3 miles huh?
Why not just ride a bike to work?

The Yaris has been specced to use either 0/20-5/20-5/30 since the 2006 model year.
Your fine using any of those weights, but for the short trips I'd recommend 0w20 to maximize fuel economy.
The engine won't be getting up to full temp and the lowest kv40 is beneficial for that type of driving.

Quote:

How did the ECHO do on the 20 weight?

No complaints; I've used M1 AFE, Amsoil ASM, and Citgo Supergard 5w-20; That is what is in there now.

A few years of Red Line 5W-20 too. (probably more of a 30 weight)

I've never used TGMO, so it is probably a mystery to some BITOG'rs how the car has made it this far.

Last edited:
For such short-tripping, I'd spend less on the oil and filter, and use a conventional oil and some sort of a standard grade ($5 or less) filter... and change it out more often.

By the case, Toyota OEM filters are usually an excellent buy and would be my first choice.

But you're not going to put any stress on any oil filter that you buy from an auto parts store or Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Roob
The Yaris has been specced to use either 0/20-5/20-5/30 since the 2006 model year.

I agree that a 20 weight would be fine.

However, I am starting to re-think whether these engines have truly been "back-spec" or not.

The 2014 Yaris owners manual says NOTHING about a 20 weight oil. It's all 5w-30 and 10w-30.

If Toyota came to the realization that 20 weight oil was recommend for this motor in 2006, it would be reflected in all subsequent printed material from that point forward.

Here we are 8 years later, and still no mention about 20 weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back