Recommend an oil for my 2002 Audi A6 2.7t 160k/mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Audi A6 with the 2.7t (turbo charged engine) with about 160k miles on it. I live in 99354 (Washington state) and low temps right now are around 15 to 25 degrees F. I just replaced all valve cover seals and when I pulled the cover off things looked DIRTY. I tried to clean as much sludge off the top of the valve covers but now I'm trying to keep that from happening again, and maybe finding an oil that with short intervals between changes will actually clean things up a little too. Looking for the best oil to use right now and up till about May or June when temps will be around lows of 50/60F and highs of 80s. At that point I'll switch to something recommended for summer which see's peak temps around 100 to 105F outside.

2002 Audi A6 2.7T with 160k miles. Twin turbo charged engine.
Daily driven with no track use, mostly "normal driving" but every now and then some spirited driving. It does see a lot of short trips (less then 2 miles) to college and back home, though now I'll probably always let the car at least warm up fully before turning it off. Pretty equal mix of 50 to 70mph highway and ~35mph city driving. Maybe 300 to 400mi/week. Like I said, pretty cold right now with 20 to maybe low 40s range though we could get another cold snap taking us down into single digits. Would like a fully synthetic oil that is Audi/VW 502 00 approved. The most recent list I can find is 2012 and found here: http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09/med...n_1997-2012.pdf

I figure around 3000 mi or 3 month changes right now since it's pretty dirty and high in miles, but if you know of some great stuff that could help clean her up if I changed it even shorter (probably not less then 1500mi) I could at least do a couple changes with that interval before ~3000mi. (Also totally prefer one I can find local in Richland, WA 99354 or within 35 miles of but if there's a big difference I will special order online)

THANKS!

Originally Posted By: salv
Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 for short intervals (up to 5k). Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 otherwise.

Out of the three is there one with higher levels of detergents then the others? Or all basically the same (with Valvoline being of lower quality I guess since you mentioned a shorter interval)

Also, not to go against your advice, but at a lot of Audi message boards I'm seeing people saying NOT to go for 0w40 because it's too wide of a range... but I was worried a 5w or 10w might not be adequate for the cold I'm in now. Any comments towards that? (The same Audi messages board did however also say to come here and ask you guys because the knowledge here is incredible, lol)

EDIT: Also looks like the Valvoline isn't VW 502 00.... I don't want to run anything that isn't Audi approved.
eek.gif

Last edited:
Any of the off-the-shelf 502/505 oils would serve you well:

Mobil 1 0w40
Castrol Edge 0w40
Castrol Edge 5w40
Castrol Edge 0w30
Valvoline SynPower 5w40
Pennzoil Ultra 5w40 (limited availability)

I see no need for a high-mileage oil unless you are having burning/leaking issues.

Originally Posted By: acarney
Originally Posted By: salv
Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 for short intervals (up to 5k). Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 otherwise.

Out of the three is there one with higher levels of detergents then the others? Or all basically the same (with Valvoline being of lower quality I guess since you mentioned a shorter interval)

Also, not to go against your advice, but at a lot of Audi message boards I'm seeing people saying NOT to go for 0w40 because it's too wide of a range... but I was worried a 5w or 10w might not be adequate for the cold I'm in now. Any comments towards that? (The same Audi messages board did however also say to come here and ask you guys because the knowledge here is incredible, lol)

EDIT: Also looks like the Valvoline isn't VW 502 00.... I don't want to run anything that isn't Audi approved.
eek.gif

Approvals are related to drain interval in this case. VW 502 is calling for an extended drain oil. If you want an oil for 10k, go with an A3/B4 0w40.

dparm gave you the short list of oils that you'll be able to find easily.

Also, 502.00 is not an extended drain spec, but a fixed mileage spec. 504.00 and 505.01 are the specs for variable mileage drains.

I've been using Castrol products in my A6 recently, with 0W-30 in there currently and the temp has been in the negatives here for the last two days. No problems starting the car in the parking lot at work.

It's nice to hear that the guys on AW and QW are deferring oil advice to this website. I've seen some poor advice and a general lack of knowledge over there when it comes to oil. Now, tuning the 2.7t is another story over there, they really know their stuff.

Since you have no warranty remaining, you can use Shell RTS 5w40 in that engine. It is durable oil, and because it is an HDEO, you get higher detergent content.

The UOA section shows that RTS 5w40 is excellent in VW and Audi engines.

4 quarts is around $23 at Walmart, and it is usually in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back