Recommend an oil and OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've got an 07 Silverado 4.3 I bought new. So far I've just been going to Jiffy Lube whenever the dashboard tells me to, and letting them change with 5w30 dino oil. Got about 25k on the truck now and been thinking about whether I should start using synthetic. A couple questions:

1) Did I do any harm just changing using dino oil when the dash said to do so? It was like 7k mile intervals!

2) I don't drive the truck as much any more - only 3k miles since March oil change. Should I change anyway?

3) A moderately-priced (doesn't have to be cheap) synthetic 5w30 oil that is generally agreed to be good quality (not the best, not the worst, just something people agree is decent)?

4) Anybody know what synthetic Jiffy Lube uses and whether it's any good?

5) I know I'm lazy by not searching and going to Jiffy Lube rather than changing my own oil. Please feel free to comment!

Thanks!

Tell Jiffy to install the Synthetic oil they use and use the OLM to stay within your warranty requirements. Don't worry about miles on the oil since March...change it out when the OLM tells you too.

But to tell you the truth....the way you are doing things is just fine and the engine will live on quite well. Start thinking about servicing the transmission and diffie...It's about time with 25K.

From what I understand those are really "easy on oil" engines and you can use regular dino and be just fine. I would use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle Dino or Pennzoil Platnium and go by the dashboard.

If you continue at Jiffy, with a dino oil, I would recommend an oil change spring and fall.

If you are more keen to try a brand name synthetic (penzoil platinum, valvoline, castrol, QS, etc) then you can safely go the 7,000 miles no problem.

If you want to try a more exotic synthetic, such as Amsoil, you can probably go even longer

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Start thinking about servicing the transmission and diffie...It's about time with 25K.

Really??? It's a manual trans truck btw. I thought you could go like 100k on the old 90 weight stuff. I guess today's cars have thinner trans/diff oils that need to be changed more. Honestly never would have thought of it.

You're servicing your truck well, keep it up. Any name brand synthetic is good if you decide to go that route. I would worry more about the Jiffy Lube workers than what oil to use...

Yeah, I think I might start doing the oil changes myself. Basically, I can change myself for synthetic for about the same cost as Jiffy Lube to do it with dino oil.

Jiffy is not the best place to use. but they work.

I would use a synthetic oil and change it every 6-7 thousand miles.

As for brand, I would check out Pennzoil Platnium or mobil 1

Pennzoil does very well in a 4.3.

It would be smart to change out the MT and diff oils, to get wear byproducts from break-in out of there. Id suggest amsoil severe gear 75w-110 for the diff, and GM trans lube of the correct spec.

I think youre doing great.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: CheezWhiz
How about the valvoline synpower? Seems a little cheaper if you look.

Synpower is very good

But

Pennzoil Platnium and mobil 1 have proved themselves over and over again in the UOA forum.

So I would research alittle, thin find the oil that you want to use.
I did my homework and I use Redline in my Lincoln.

look around, try some oils, and see what you like best.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Pennzoil Platnium and mobil 1 have proved themselves over and over again in the UOA forum.

That's what I'm talkin' bout. Sounds like a plan, Pennzoil will work. Heck I even like yellow.

sounds like you are starting to get hooked into BITOG like the rest of us!

Careful - it can be addicting!

Originally Posted By: CheezWhiz
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

That's what I'm talkin' bout. Sounds like a plan, Pennzoil will work. Heck I even like yellow.

Just to clarify, the yellow bottle Pennzoil ( YB ) is dino oil. Pennzoil Platinum ( PP ) is in a silver bottle and is synthetic.

I'd suggest either YB and change it every 6 months, or PP and change it once a year.

Good job so far on your maintenance
thumbsup2.gif

Darn. I really wanted yellow!

Yeah basically ... I got the 4.3 'cause I'm cheap and wanted the truck to last forever so ... gotta maintain it!

Do the change yourself and simply shop for the best sale on Synthetics. For instance, PepBoys had 5 quarts of PP and a premium filter for $27. That is an awesome deal.

Just go for the cheapest synthetic. PP M1 VS would be my first three choices, in that order. However, to be fair you could run supertech synth with a supertech filter and go by the OLM and be just fine. Supertech has given it's share of good UOAs as well.

OLM = Oil Life Monitor

Short trips are harder on the oil and TBN. If your change in driving habits includes shorter trips you might want to change every 5000 miles or 6 months.

Send in a UOA at 6 months to have a data point to help with the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back