Recommend an Oil 2018 Jeep JLU Wrangler 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to do it yourself, use a Chrysler spec oil and filter while in warranty. If the dealer does it, doesn't matter.

the people saying spec. doesn't matter are right as far as performance, unless you meet a service manager saying it does matter, then I promise you it will matter.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd go with Pennzoil, Mobil 1 doesn't meet the spec, if that matters to you. If you want a Mobil product in the sump, and care about the spec then use Super.

This is true, Mobil 1 doesn't list as meeting the 'spec" but Super Syn does. I'm pretty sure the M1 and above versionsdo meet the spec especially since the "base level Super" does.

Regardless - I run Mobil 1 EP 5W/30 in the wifes Pentastar (2014) Grand Cherokee Overland and all is well. I run Mobil 1 in my Jeep CJ-7's also. I am also a Mobil preferred customer lol

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd go with Pennzoil, Mobil 1 doesn't meet the spec, if that matters to you. If you want a Mobil product in the sump, and care about the spec then use Super.

This is true, Mobil 1 doesn't list as meeting the 'spec" but Super Syn does. I'm pretty sure the M1 and above versionsdo meet the spec especially since the "base level Super" does.

Regardless - I run Mobil 1 EP 5W/30 in the wifes Pentastar (2014) Grand Cherokee Overland and all is well. I run Mobil 1 in my Jeep CJ-7's also. I am also a Mobil preferred customer lol

It’s in my son’s Charger (Pentastar) …

At this point, I'll likely get the free oil changes in the Jeep Wave program, then move to Mobil 1 EP or AP 0w20. My Jk has mostly run M1 oil in it and it is running like new at 120k. While the owner's manual says to run oil meeting Chrysler spec, it also says it can meet API spec. Besides, I think EOM has a warranty if you keep your receipts and change oil according to manufacturer's specified intervals.

Over the last couple weeks, I've cold started my Jeep countless times at temperatures well below zero. It started the same as if 70 degrees. That gives me great confidence. I also look at the pour point and flash point of the 0w20's from Pennzoil, Mobil 1 EP, Mobil 1 AP, and others. Mobil 1 appears to set the standard on both ends of the spectrum, so I feel good about it's high temp protection, too.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
I'm bored and waiting for delivery of a new 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with the updated 3.6. The leaked owners manual recommends 0w20 oil.

My 08 Wrangler 3.8 has mostly had a diet of various Mobil 1 oils throughout its life, and it is running strong. I' a big fan of Mobil 1 oils, but would consider something different, especially if it works particularly well with the Pentastar.

What do you recommend and why? I'll probably have the Jeep in mid to late January and will make a final decision on an oil after the break in period is over. I'm leaning toward Mobil 1 EP 0w20, but am open to others, such as Pennzoil Ultra 0w20, if I can find it.

Btw, Merry Christmas!

I am thinking about buying the same Jeep in Spring... Most likely I would recommend just having the dealer do an oil and filter change every 3-5K miles with whatever full synthetic that they use. It sounds like Jeep made a few changes and hopefully these new Wranglers do not require a monthly visit to the service department. LOL. The 8 speed auto sounds like a nice addition to the Wrangler but I believe it may be an option. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Yeah, the 8 speed is a $2000 option, so that is one of several reasons I went with the manual transmission. I was told today it is awaiting final inspection before shipping. I honestly think I'll see it around February 1, but hopefully a little sooner.

Got the new Jeep! I've decided to go with Mobil 1 AFE 0w20. I've got 271 miles on it already, but I won't think about changing the oil until sometime after 1,000 miles. I may go as many as 3,000 before the first change. Is Blackstone still the preferred lab for uOA's? How much are they charging these days?

Congratulations on the new JL. My son played some hockey down in Danville a few years ago. We used to love driving in out of the time zones there.
Wife is going to purchasing a new JLU Rubicon next spring. So we are anxiously awaiting some real user/ drivers reports.

Thanks, guys! I can tell you this machine improves on my JKUR in every way, including ride, handling, noise, comfort, stereo, power, fuel economy, and overall refinement. It feels as if it will be better off-road, as well. The manual transmission is smooth as silk and the clutch feels great. The gear ratios seem right. The instrument panel is great, too. I rode over my first rough road today at about 40mph, and I can't describe how much better the shocks and suspension feel. They really hit this one out of the park. The fit/finish appear to be outstanding, as well. (The JK had a terrible reputation there, but my 08 really had no issues, either. It was put together very well, too, and still looks and drives like new.)

Earlier in the thread, I mistakenly said I was going with M1 0w20 AFE. I meant to say M1 0w20 Annual Protection. I'll run it with a Fram Ultra Guard filter, and I'll go with the oil life monitor or 1 year, whichever comes first. I'll do the first change at 2k or 3k and then another at 5k or 6k. Then, I'll run the full OCI, according to the OLM. I'll do some Blackstone tests along the way.

Well, Saturday I'm going to get the factory fill out of my JL Wrangler and put some Mobil 1 0w20 EP in there. I'll be running a Fram Ultra Guard filter along with it. I've got my Blackstone kit, so I'll be taking a sample and sending it in for a UOA. I'm guessing the factory fill was probably Pennzoil Gold 0w20 synthetic blend, but I'm not sure.

I'm right at 2,000 miles on the Jeep. The next OCI will be at least 3k, maybe more. We'll see how I feel about it.

Anybody know how long Blackstone's turnaround usually is once they receive a used oil sample?

Last edited:
Once they receive the sample you will typically get results within 3 days, but it has been as long as a week for me.

Did I miss the pictures of the new Jeep
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Nothing wrong with M1, especially since you are a big fan of them
smile.gif

Pair it with a Fram Ultra

I just completed the first oil change: Mobil 1 0w20 EP, and a Fram Ultra Guard XG11665 filter. 2007 miles. I took a sample and will send it off to Blackstone on Monday. It will be interesting to see what it shows. I'll be getting UOA's done on probably the first four oil changes, just to see how things start off.

Very nice Jeep. Love the color. Used Kendall in my 2011 Jeep Wrangler ran great but had a different engine than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back