recommend a dino oil for Canadian winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Esso used to have a very highly regarded but inexpensive PAO based 0W-30 oil sold through their bulk stations in Canada. I was never able to locate a bulk or industrial sales agency nearby so I never got to try it.

I see PP 4.73L jugs @ walmart for $25 right now. It's not even advertised in flyers. Make sure to get 4.73L jugs not 5L which are like $46.

Since moving to a warmer climate is not practical. Spend the extra 4 or 5 Canadian Dollars for 0 30 synthetic. Drive an extra 9000 US miles; you'll be ahead on your purchase and will be able to sleep better. -20 is dang cold for regular starts.

Last edited:
Amsoil signature series 0w-30... hands down the best cold starting viscosity. Your engine will start without a block heater in below -40 C temps, guaranteed. In Canada, Amsoil is less expensive (relatively) than other oils compared to buying in the USA. I can buy a gallon of Amsoil Signature for $37 versus $40+ for Pennzoil.

I live in Saskatchewan and we regularly are around -20C in winter with cold snaps of -30C (-22F) and even occasionally down to -40C nearly (-40 F). You better have a healthy battery at these temps, along with battery warmer OR a trickle charger, not both.

Personally, I would use Amsoil 0w-30 along with an oil pan heater for those super cold days.

Originally Posted By: pickler
i do a lot of traveling so my oil change intervals are almost every 60 days. so it's good if i save money on my oil changes (student budget).

You change your oil every 2 months?? Wow, how many kilometers do you do per week? Surprised you find time to go to school, you must spend half your life driving!

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
Since moving to a warmer climate is not practical. Spend the extra 4 or 5 Canadian Dollars for 0 30 synthetic. Drive an extra 9000 US miles; you'll be ahead on your purchase and will be able to sleep better. -20 is dang cold for regular starts.

Synthetic is 5 or 6 bucks more PER LITRE here. So it's 30 bucks or so more per oil change.

Op. I live in sask. We get significantly colder than you guys do in Toronto. If your engine needs a 30 grade try any 5w-30 however you'll find that synthetic is a better value because of the extended interval.
For instance my cost per km is 50% less using a synthetic,even though the up front cost is more.
I buy my jugs on sale and stock up so that saves me even more on the cost per km.
As already mentioned motomaster is re-branded shell oil. Good value.
If you have a princess auto nearby they usually have gallons of shell oil for under 20 bucks.
Synthetics are the best value though. Cost per km,and your putting a lot of highway miles on which extends the interval even further.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Do you guys know how much is the PC Duron 0w30 and Supreme Synthetic 0w30?

Give a Petro Can distributor a call. I get my Petro Can products from Kidd Fuels at their Etobicoke location. Ask for Allan. http://www.kiddfuels.com/location.html
Not the best pricing (like super cheap wholesale pricing, but cheaper than buying off the gas station shelf).

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Esso used to have a very highly regarded but inexpensive PAO based 0W-30 oil sold through their bulk stations in Canada. I was never able to locate a bulk or industrial sales agency nearby so I never got to try it.

The oil I was referring to was Esso XD-3 0W-30. It was considered a very high quality PAO oil, Canada only bargain at about $5 per liter. I can't seem to find any reference to it anymore. Has it been renamed? Now Mobil maybe?

I intended to use it in my BMW if I could have found a place to buy it.

The oil I was referring to was Esso XD-3 0W-30. It was considered a very high quality PAO oil, Canada only bargain at about $5 per liter. I can't seem to find any reference to it anymore. Has it been renamed? Now Mobil maybe?

I intended to use it in my BMW if I could have found a place to buy it.

Yea the new name is Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30

I'm gonna be doing a lot of cold starts (-20'c) in Canadian winter and my current castrol syntec 0w-40 is due for a change. Currently there are no 0w oils on sale near where I live. I only see 5w-30 dino oils on sale like pennzoil high mileage, castrol gtx hm and valvoline maxlife hm. penzzoil yellow bottle is like $3.5 a L. german castrol or 0w-40 would cost me $60 taxes in! i do a lot of traveling so my oil change intervals are almost every 60 days. so it's good if i save money on my oil changes (student budget).

car is a 2009 subaru impreza 2.5L with 100k miles.

All Castrol Syntec was on sale last week for $25.99/5 liter jug at Canadian Tire. There is always synthetic oil on sale at Canadian Tire or Walmart every week. The average temp in Southern Ontario is around -2C or 28 F and -20C is the coldest we will ever see. You can get by using any synthetic 5w30 oil on sale.

Just pointing out that we do and have seen temps lower than -20c in southern Ontario.
Last winter being an example. A blanket statement saying -20c is the coldest we will see is just not true.
Just pointing it out, not trying to start an argument, this site has been rife with that bull lately...

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
I'm gonna be doing a lot of cold starts (-20'c) in Canadian winter and my current castrol syntec 0w-40 is due for a change. Currently there are no 0w oils on sale near where I live. I only see 5w-30 dino oils on sale like pennzoil high mileage, castrol gtx hm and valvoline maxlife hm. penzzoil yellow bottle is like $3.5 a L. german castrol or 0w-40 would cost me $60 taxes in! i do a lot of traveling so my oil change intervals are almost every 60 days. so it's good if i save money on my oil changes (student budget).

All Castrol Syntec was on sale last week for $25.99/5 liter jug at Canadian Tire. There is always synthetic oil on sale at Canadian Tire or Walmart every week. The average temp in Southern Ontario is around -2C or 28 F and -20C is the coldest we will ever see. You can get by using any synthetic 5w30 oil on sale.

Originally Posted By: Roob
Just pointing out that we do and have seen temps lower than -20c in southern Ontario.
Last winter being an example. A blanket statement saying -20c is the coldest we will see is just not true.
Just pointing it out, not trying to start an argument, this site has been rife with that bull lately...

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW

Last year was one of the coldest winters in Ontario (probably last 20 years?), and i remember that i had to go to college at -22C. That was the coldest day of the year. Real feel was around -30c but real feels don't make sense for vehicles.

Yes we have seen temps lower than -20c in Southern Ontario, but one or two days in a year.

Last edited:
Around here (Golden Triangle) we had 17 days from November 2013 to March 2014 that were -21c to -24c, all real temps with no windchill.
At night and with windchill it was at least -30c with some nights pushing -40c. Pretty [censored] cold...
It was an excellent winter.

Cheers.

sorry for late reply.

My Subaru manual indicates not to extend oil intervals if using synthetic. It also indicates that I will not gain any benefits by switching to synthetic oil. Also it doesn't recommend any specific grade and gives a guideline on when to use what grade of oil. For example for desert driving and towing recommends 10w-50. For winter and light driving it recommends 5w-30. The oil intervals must not exceed 12,000km but recommends changes at just under 7,000km.

In any case I'm having difficulty finding these cheap yellow Pennzoil bottles sold at Walmart on sale? I haven't seen any? Also where could one buy the esso oil mentioned? The petrol Canada supreme oil is very expensive, more so than the GC. I do not want to use Pennzoil platinum because it has a thick viscosity from what I remember. Cheapest oil I have seen is Pennzoil high mileage and gtx hm for $22 a jug.

I think its better if I just wait for a GC sale. I'm about 7000km now on the syntec 0w-40.

Last edited:
How do those millions of poor Canadian engines survive every winter on 5W-30 dino? They must be blowing up and wearing out in droves. I'm sure there will be a news story soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back