recommend a dino oil for Canadian winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna be doing a lot of cold starts (-20'c) in Canadian winter and my current castrol syntec 0w-40 is due for a change. Currently there are no 0w oils on sale near where I live. I only see 5w-30 dino oils on sale like pennzoil high mileage, castrol gtx hm and valvoline maxlife hm. penzzoil yellow bottle is like $3.5 a L. german castrol or 0w-40 would cost me $60 taxes in! i do a lot of traveling so my oil change intervals are almost every 60 days. so it's good if i save money on my oil changes (student budget).

car is a 2009 subaru impreza 2.5L with 100k miles.

Last edited:
Synthetic oils will do you much better because they flow better. Dont scrimp here in minus weather. Either Mobil, Pennzoil, I here that there a bunch of great Canadian oils up there. Ask around the forum.
Good luck.

If you drive a lot then the synthetic oil should at least break even with the conventionals. You can do 12,000-16,000km intervals on synthetic. Get some Mobil 1 0w30 and forget about it for the the winter.

Originally Posted By: pickler
I'm gonna be doing a lot of cold starts (-20'c) in Canadian winter and my current castrol syntec 0w-40 is due for a change. Currently there are no 0w oils on sale near where I live. I only see 5w-30 dino oils on sale like pennzoil high mileage, castrol gtx hm and valvoline maxlife hm. penzzoil yellow bottle is like $3.5 a L. german castrol or 0w-40 would cost me $60 taxes in! i do a lot of traveling so my oil change intervals are almost every 60 days. so it's good if i save money on my oil changes (student budget).

car is a 2009 subaru impreza 2.5L with 100k miles.

Can't you drive down to the south and fill your trunk with $21.66 Castrol 0w-40s to last a couple of years?

Conventional oil isn't really "Dino": its source is mostly algae and zooplankton and dinosaurs really weren't involved. Sinclair shouldn't be believed.

If -20*C is the coldest you expect to see, dino 5w30 should work fine. I'm assuming your Subaru isn't turbo'd?

The diesel 0w30 will work fine in your engine too.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Conventional oil isn't really "Dino": its source is mostly algae and zooplankton and dinosaurs really weren't involved. Sinclair shouldn't be believed.
There MIGHT be someone on here who didn't know that. Might.

Actually, -20°C is the lowest temp in my manual (which is completely irrelevant for you, I know) for 10w-anything. You'll be golden with 5w-anything from a reputable brand of your choice.

Canadian Tire has MotoMaster Formula 1 conventional for 13.69 on sale right now.Its made by Shell

I'd find a synthetic, pay a little more and use something in 0W-xx grade that meets your car's specs. I'd look at Mobil 1's offerings.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Danh
There MIGHT be someone on here who didn't know that. Might.

Sarcasm is always appreciated. How do you know I didn't find the one?

Lots of good cheap oils in Canada, some are cheaper than in the US. Local Walmart has PYB for $13.89 per jug. That will take all the cold temps your winter can throw at you!!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Lots of good cheap oils in Canada, some are cheaper than in the US. Local Walmart has PYB for $13.89 per jug. That will take all the cold temps your winter can throw at you!!

that was going to be my suggestion. or 19.99 for an on sale jug of pp from Walmart. Sometimes vwb is on for 9.99. And sometimes pyb for 9.99

in fact I have 2.50$ per litre pyb in my car right now and have the same but a 5w20 for my truck waiting to go in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pickler
thanks for the suggestions. speaking of canadian oil, i see petro canadas heavy duty 0w-30 for diesels on sale. not sure if this is good for passenger cars such as mine?

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/pdf/DURON_Syn_0W_30_ENG.pdf

sorry the US is too far for me and will probably cost me more in gas, i usually fly there :\

It's for both gas and diesel engines, so yes it should work just fine in your Subaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back