recommend a dino oil for Canadian winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dgunay
Pickler, did you check your inbox?

I didn't get any pm from you. Send again.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: bigt61
How do those millions of poor Canadian engines survive every winter on 5W-30 dino? They must be blowing up and wearing out in droves. I'm sure there will be a news story soon.

ha ha yeah I don't even plug in my truck. I plug in my car when it's below -25c warms up faster for the wife and kid.

I plug in my truck every day. It almost immediately starts blowing warm air thus lowering my warm up times prior to driving.
It'll stsrt unaided at -40 however at idle it takes 40 minutes to start blowing warm air.
The pennies I spend in electricity saves me dollars at the gas pumps.

Get an inexpensive timer and have it trip on 3 hours before you leave to get the same results and save some coin compared to all night power usage.

Originally Posted By: pickler

Sent

Sent

thanks for the oil man and nice meeting you! finally got my hands on castrol 0w-40 for cheap!

IMG_20141210_155325.jpg

Last edited:

Sent

thanks for the oil man and nice meeting you! finally got my hands on castrol 0w-40 for cheap!

Enjoy!! Nice to meet you too man

better with syn if that engine is leak free... I use dino here in nj in most of my engines. But -4F you could get away with 5w30 syn blend or reg dino like pennzoil or mobil or any other quality oil.

Last edited:
Your Impreza has the same engine as our Forester.
The OM for our Forester allows for the use of any 10W-40 meeting at least API SL down to -4F or -20C.
Your car will be fine on any 5W-30.
If the budget allows, I'd use a syn oil but your engine will be fine on any conventional 5W-30 at the morning lows you're looking at.
I used to use 10W-40 in everything and no engine seemed to suffer from it even with cold starts well below 0F with cars that had sat outside all night long.
The Subbie flat four is not picky about oil.
Some of these engines may have had head gasket failures, but engine oil grade and basestock is not a concern with them.
Use any 5W-30 and the engine will be fine.

Thanks! This engine is DOHC turbo charged but i try try to stay off boost winter time to save gas. Not sure how different it is compared to SOHC NA engines. as mentioned I got my hand on a pair of 0w-40 German castrol synthetic 5L bottles for cheap.

I see higher oil pressure and slightly higher oil temp with this 0w-40 vs old 0w-40 belgian. Idle seems quieter but my consumption is up about 3% since oil change. I love this oil. I sent my used oil sample for a UOA at caterpillar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: bigt61
How do those millions of poor Canadian engines survive every winter on 5W-30 dino? They must be blowing up and wearing out in droves. I'm sure there will be a news story soon.

ha ha yeah I don't even plug in my truck. I plug in my car when it's below -25c warms up faster for the wife and kid.

I plug in my truck every day. It almost immediately starts blowing warm air thus lowering my warm up times prior to driving.
It'll stsrt unaided at -40 however at idle it takes 40 minutes to start blowing warm air.
The pennies I spend in electricity saves me dollars at the gas pumps.

Get an inexpensive timer and have it trip on 3 hours before you leave to get the same results and save some coin compared to all night power usage.

I've got it on a timer actually. It kicks on for 2 hours then off for 4. I've found in the extreme -35c and colder nights that's as far as I can push it.
My electric bill is 45 bucks a month with this timer set up. Last year if plugged in steady for 12 straight hours it was closer to 60 a month.
So even 15 bucks more a month in power means 30 minutes less daily in warm up so over the winter I save more in gas than I lay in electricity.
I do appreciate the advice though. Had I not already had a plan I would have jumped on a derivative of yours. 😁😁🎉🎉

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Waiting for Garak to chime in here...

I came to the party late.
wink.gif
I would just grab any 5w-30 dino that caught my fancy, and have used a lot of QS, PYB, and GTX 5w-30 over the years. If I was picking nits and wanted a dino with the best cold cranking specs, I'd probably use Petro-Canada.

But, it's all been said. Have a good battery, plug in as needed when possible. Don't run a foolish viscosity (i.e. 20w-50 in a Saskatchewan winter). The little battery charger permanently mounted to my F-150 has accomplished more for winter starting than darn near everything else I've ever tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back