Recommend a better filter then Motorcraft FL-820S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read that the OEM filter on my Mustang is really good, but are there any better filters out there I should look into?

Motorcraft filters are good and the anti drainback valves are excellent on those filters i always use them on all the fords and lincolns with great results we stock the 820's in our shop and also use group 7 we buy in bulk they are all made by made by purolator...
Napa gold a lot of people like also i have used them in the past but are hard to get at a good price..

In my opinion, you would be throwing money away by using a more expensive filter than the FL-820S. It is a very good filter, which I have used many times in the past on a '97 Expedition, with excellent results.

Have you cut one open?

Mobil 1's are very good as are Purolator Pure Ones, Napa Golds and Carquest Blues and Wix.

I would give the nod to Purolator and Mobil 1's but would like to see them side to side cut open and compared.

But these would be at least equal to it I believe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Have you cut one open?

I have. I cut one open after a 3k mile run on my wife's (sold in '07) short-tripper Expedition. Here are the pics:

Motorcraft-FL820S.jpg

FL820S-media.jpg

Nice links tenderloin. I was looking for something like that.

Nice pics wavinwayne.

I think Purolator probably makes the Motorcraft brand.

Last edited:
I'm currently running the Fleetguard LF16002, which is a synthetic glass media filter on my Expedition.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I think Purolator probably makes the Motorcraft brand.

They certainly do. The MC filter is a blend of their regular line so you get some regular features with some great features for the low $3 price.

Well if you spend more you can get better.....
Motorcraft is a decent filter for the money.

Amsoil EA, Mobil 1, Pure 1 I believe are better. Pure 1 has a lot of bang for the buck.

Amsoil EA is probably the best out there for stock engine applications.

Engines usually outlast the rest of the car with regular maintenance using any proper rated oil and the cheapest filters. The air filter and its seal is the most important filter on the engine.

Engines usually outlast the rest of the car with regular maintenance using any proper rated oil and the cheapest filters. The air filter and its seal is the most important filter on the engine.

If I were to pick something other than the FL-820S, it would be a Purolator PureONE PL24651. The ADBV looks mostly the same as the one in the FL-820S, so it should work just as well to prevent startup rattle. The PureONE has a significantly larger amount of media.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

I have an S&B filter fitted tightly in the air box. I never really trusted K&N.

Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
Advantage to the FL-820s is the base end ADBV which Ford swears by.

Wix/ NAPA Gold have the base end bypass as well. In Canada I can get them for less than the 820 so thats what I use unless I happen to do a little cross border shopping :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back