Recommend A 5w-20 Oil for Ford Duratec 3.0 L ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'll be picking up a Ford Fusion in a couple days and noticed that it recommends use of a 5w-20 oil, it has the 3.0 L Duratec engine.

I don't know anything about this engine, hopefully it is a reliable engine, never owned a Ford before but I liked the car enough to buy it.

Can anyone recommend a good oil for this engine ?, my thinking is to use something with lots of Moly for extra margin of safety, although I'm sure that isn't the sole determining factor.

I don't really need a synthetic oil in this engine for it's planned use as far as I can gather, but I'm open to all suggestions. I haven't seen the recommended OCI from the manufacturer on this car yet, as soon as I get a chance to read the owners manual I'll find out.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Joey

If you don't want a synthetic in a 5w 20 my next pick would be Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w 20.

thanks for the quick reply, I'd be open to considering a synthetic if I can go longer between oil changes but I'm not yet sure how that would affect the warranty since I'm not familiar with Ford's recommended OCI's. I may be safer doing shorter OCI's on regular oil. thanks for the recommendation.

Pennzoil Platinum at less than 4$/qt might be a good choice. Otherwise motorcraft or pretty much anything.. havoline etc

I just changed the oil in my 3.0 Fusion and I used Motorcraft 5w20 blend and a Motorcraft FL820s filter. I changed it at 1800mi and will do it again at 5k, then 5k OCI's. I will probably stick with Motorcraft blend as long as I can find it at Walmart. I havn't seen it at Walmart lately in the 5qt jugs, and the quart bottles were few. I bought 5, 5qt jugs so it should last awile.

I agree with the MoCraft oil and filter recommendation. Solid oil and filter for a good price, good for 5K OCI's which I believe is the max warranty interval, as others have stated. Of course if you can pick up any major brand 5w-20 on sale, I'd go for that as well.

I would use motorcraft 5w20. Its available at your walmart. Comes in very handy 5qt jugs and its excellent oil. Ford max oil change will be 5k. The car should come with a very handy maintenance log/book. Every ford I have ever bought comes with the first oil change free.

Amsoil 5-20 should be a great fit, my buddy uses that in his car with the v6, if you can get your hands on that you may be happy however if not the stick with the motorcraft.

Ditto on the MC 5/20 recommendation or any other name brand 5/20 ie: Pennzoil, E-M, Texaco, GTX etc...for 5K OCI. I would definetly use the Motorcraft FL 820S oil filter which is available at WM for 3.28 apiece (I'd pick up about 10 at that price because you never know when WM will stop carrying them).

PS: Congrats on the nice wheels. I really like the looks of the Fusion and would consider buying one.

quote:

Hi everyone, I'll be picking up a Ford Fusion in a couple days and noticed that it recommends use of a 5w-20 oil, it has the 3.0 L Duratec engine.

I don't know anything about this engine, hopefully it is a reliable engine, never owned a Ford before but I liked the car enough to buy it.

Can anyone recommend a good oil for this engine ?, my thinking is to use something with lots of Moly for extra margin of safety, although I'm sure that isn't the sole determining factor.

I don't really need a synthetic oil in this engine for it's planned use as far as I can gather, but I'm open to all suggestions. I haven't seen the recommended OCI from the manufacturer on this car yet, as soon as I get a chance to read the owners manual I'll find out.

Cool car with a great engine. I have the 3.0L Duratec in my 2001 Taurus, as well,
cheers.gif

For break-in purpose, I would use Motorcraft 5W-20 for the first 5K OCI, For subsequent OCI, I highly recommend Mobil 1 5W-20, It's what I use in mine and that engine loves it.

I have that engine in my Mazda6, and i switched to M1 5w20 or 0w20 (when available) at 4k miles, and my car seems to run great with that oil. I would use the Motorcraft 5w20 up to that point.

The Motorcraft 5/20 semi is a great oil. There is no need to use anything else.
I have used it for almost 6 years with a 3.0 Ford Escape, (same engine), and no problems.
Those engines are bullet proof.

thanks for all the great replies and advice as well as the compliments. I really like the entire car package, hopefully it proves reliable in the long term.

Did anyone using Mobil1 have any oil consumption issues. My last few cars all had oil consumption in some manner or other, and I hope this car doesn't.

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back