recommandation for 95 BMW 740i

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Hong Kong and I have Mobil1 0W40, 5W50 and 15W50 to choose. What's your recomandation for me? Is 0W40 and 5W50 spread too wide that 15W50 would be a better choice? Thanks.

Does it ever get really cold where you live?The 0W stuff maybe overkill.The Mobil 15W50 sounds like a good bet.

BTW everbody says the 0W40 shears down but I've looked at the UOA's and that doesn't seem to be the case at all.Right in the low 40's at 212 f. f .Seems like a really top notch oil.Good UOA's prove it.

Any one of those three would be suitable and a good choice...with the 2 50 weights offering more protection during exteme driving...eg. if tracking racing the car.

In hong Kong the lowest temperature would be 7'C or 8'C so not really that cold comparing to North America or Europe. One thing confuse me is that if you look at the stat. sheet in Mobil1 web site,the flash point of 0W40 is 236'C but the 15W50 is only 230'C, so why do we need the 50 grade?Any idea?

quote:

Originally posted by hungdynasty:
In hong Kong the lowest temperature would be 7'C or 8'C so not really that cold comparing to North America or Europe. One thing confuse me is that if you look at the stat. sheet in Mobil1 web site,the flash point of 0W40 is 236'C but the 15W50 is only 230'C, so why do we need the 50 grade?Any idea?

I don't think the difference in flash point is significant. Look at the difference in HT/HS!!
shocked.gif
That's where the 50 wt. could be needed.

If it were just a matter of choice, I'd go for the 15W-50. I think it may have the best additives, etc. You don't have any cold start issues where you live, so the 15W-50 should be fine.

cool.gif
I don't recall the weight, but my dad has a 2000 740iL and the manual calls for either Mobil 1 or BMW's own oil. That much I remember. Dad is in FL right now so the car isn't here for me to look at.

Run Mobil 1 0w-40. 40 weight is plenty heavy for your car and climate and the Mobil 1 0w-40 is BMW LL-01 approved as well as MB 229.3 and 229.5. I switched from M1 15w-50 in my Wife's 525i and found a sharp decrease in oil consumption and much quieter starting.

Cary

hung, I would run the Castrol RS 10w-50 and save some cash. It should be cheaper than the M1.

Have you had Nikasil pitting or problems with this V8 ?

Terry

Terry I don't have any problem with the nikasil engine because first my car only has 81000km on it and second the gasoline in hong kong is really 'good'(98 octane and cost US$1.5/litre,kill me). I can actually find Castrol RS 10W60 in hong kong ,tried it and found power lost a bit but indeed very very smooth engine running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back