Recomendation for '03 Tahoe & '05 Suburban 5.3's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '03 Tahoe 5.3 2WD (105k miles) and recently aquired '05 Suburban Z-71 (76k miles), both with the original coolant.

I plan in March to service both coolant systems using a Prestone Flush Kit.

What coolant should I use?

Licensed Dex-Cool?

Other?

Should I use an additive corrosion inhibiter? If so, which one?

Thanks!!

I have a 2003 Z71 Silverado. I just turned 100k I drained the Dex cool and put new Dex cool back in it. Once a year I will pull the plug on the radiator, then refill with prestone dex cool. I figure do that once a year and the stuff will never really get old.

change your coolant soon and use any of the licensed Dex-Cool products. If it were my truck, I would replace the Dex-Cool every 3 years - because its no fun replacing the intake manifold gaskets. although it's a one-day project (probably much fastter the second time) and most mechanics charge $900-1500. In my opinion, both of those trucks are WAY overdue for coolant replacement. perhaps others will disagree - but hey!

I would just go with a license Dexcool since these vehicle don't seem to have any issues with it. I prefer Havoline but any Dexcool will do.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
change your coolant soon and use any of the licensed Dex-Cool products. If it were my truck, I would replace the Dex-Cool every 3 years - because its no fun replacing the intake manifold gaskets. although it's a one-day project (probably much fastter the second time) and most mechanics charge $900-1500. In my opinion, both of those trucks are WAY overdue for coolant replacement. perhaps others will disagree - but hey!
The 5.3 does not have coolant going through the intake. So far the only problems I've seen are the rubber lined gaskets between the water pump and block and the plastic heater hose fittings at the heater end.

I went ahead and used Zerex DexCool in my 5.3s

I do 2 1/2 year runs on dex cool, dont beleive that 5 year garbage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back