Recomend tires for a 2006 dodge Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace the tires that came with the new bought 2006 Durango.
It came with good year rsa. They only lasted30k. (24575r17)
Just want something different any opinions?

I put a set of Firestone Destination LE's on my Dakota last December. They have been an excellent tire in wet or dry conditions. I got them for a really good price at Tires Plus. We get a lot of rain this time of year here where I live and the agressive tread pattern on the Firestones helps a lot. They run very quiet and have a really smooth firm ride quality. So far, they are great tires for the money.

Eagle RS-A's are utter trash. I had those on a Chrysler product in the past too. I think I got far less mileage than you did..

I just wanted to chime in and let you know youre not the only one..

Pirelli Scorpion STR is a very decent tire. Depends how much you're willing to spend, however.

I really wasn't impressd by the good years that came with the Durango
That's why I'm looking into something different thanks for the reccomendations

The OE Goodyear Eagle tires on my first Dakota, a 2000 Club Cab SLT were worn out by 40K too. Really bad tires, if you ask me. I had Michelin LTX M/S on my current 2001 Dakota. They lasted nearly 60K and still had good tread but I had to replace them early because of a vibration problem. They were great tires, but very expensive. Michelins were not in my budget this time around. I really like these Firestones I am running now. Great tires for the price. Just my 2 cents here.

Originally Posted By: aztec12

Are you sure the tire size isn't 245 70 17? If that is the size then I would recommend Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo.

Originally Posted By: aztec12

Couple quick points before I recommend any tires...

I. Your OE tire size should be P245/70R-17 not P245/75R-17. It actually matters so make sure what is on there. Dodge did not issue P245/75R-17's on any 2006 Durango's( 2WD or 4WD )so if that is what came on it it was done at the dealership. It is important to know the actual tire size you need as not all tire lines/models have tires we might recommend in a given size.

II. The OE tires( you said you were running the OE's still )if in fact you had the P245/70R-17's as I believe you do would have been Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires not RS-A. The RS-A tires belong to the Goodyear Eagle passenger car series and would not have been issued on a Durango by Dodge. I actually don't even see a P245/75R-17 available in the RS-A series from Goodyear for a dealer to install themselves so I am sure you actually have the Wrangler SR-A tires.

Based on where you live( NC )severe winter weather is not a concern. Maybe some muddy dirt roads in the spring and fall, or a dirt boat launch or two, if you are an outdoorsman but winter weather shouldn't be an issue. As a result, unless you want an aggressive looking tire, an All Terrain(AT) is a bad choice for you. Another poster mentioned Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's which are an EXCELLENT tire but they are overkill for you. Your MPG will suffer drastically with a more aggressive AT tire( easily 1 MPG+ )and AT's run as much as $100+ p/tire more than similar sized All Season(AS) tires. IMO unless you have some off road style use we are not hearing about go with an AS.

Here are some AS tires that I have personal experience with on full size trucks and SUV's. All of them actually perform very well in winter weather as well( live in NH and you WILL see blizzards almost weekly during winter
LOL.gif
)so if you travel North in the winter you are covered. All of these tires provide exceptional rides and wear very well. Some are pricey and some more affordable. My list below will be how I would buy them based on performance and cost factored together...

1 - Firestone Destination LE. Not only are these very affordable but they flat out are amazing tires. They take a back seat in performance to no other tire really but are on the low end price wise. I highly recommend this tire to you. I am on my 3rd set right now( 2007 4WD Chevy Silverado, 2008 AWD Chevy Equinox OE tire, 2008 4WD Dodge Ram )and LOVE them. On the 07 Silverado and 08 Ram the OE issue Goodyear junk tires came off ASAP to be replaced with the LE's.
cool.gif
Amazing AS tire in the snow and the ride is really good. They wear like iron! GREAT tire. They get 2
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
IMO. As long as you rotate the tires properly and run the correct PSI these will last you at least 50-60K which is great for a truck/SUV class tire.

2 - Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Very similar to the LE's performance wise although probably a better tire overall. IMO the LE does better in snow due to a slightly more aggressive tread pattern than the Alenza but in the other areas the Alenza is marginally better. The one draw back is these are not cheap tires by any stretch. They are a more expensive tire. They should last you 60K+ with proper care.

3 - Michelin LTX M/S. These tires are a time tested and proven top of the line truck/SUV class AS tire. I actually like #1 and #2 above better but these are still very good tires. These tires came OE issue on my 03 and 04 Dodge Ram's, in the same P245/70R-17 size, and they really performed well. Unfortunately, it appears Michelin has done away with this size in this model and replaced it with the LTX A/S. I have no experience with the A/S but if you can find the M/S series in your size on closeout or something they are a very good tire. 60K+ tire like the Alenza. Ride is not as good( more stiff )but a very good tire. They are very pricey though, traditionally, running well over $200 p/tire. The high replacement/purchase cost is what lead me to try the other 2 listed above. In doing so I discovered I liked them better plus they were a LOT cheaper.

4 - General Grabber HTS. Compared to the other tires listed here this is a new(er) AS tire on the market. It is still a bit early to know if these will stand the test of time as the others above have and prove again and again to be reliable and long lived? However, initial indications are they will. My Brother-in-Law needed some tires for his 2WD Chevy Coloroda last year and a local tire store had these on sale. Had him try them out and so far they have done really well even in the snow. They are wearing exceptionally well too. Very affordable tires.

5 - Mastercraft Courser HTR. Made/owned by Cooper and sold as a more affordable line. Don't be fooled by that though as they offer some great truck/SUV class tires. Not quite up to the performance of those listed above but still a very good option for you. I would say not to expect more than 40-50K out of them and expect to pay about the same or slightly less than the LE's or HTS tires which are the cheapest in the list above.

Hope this helps you out. The only other piece of advice I can give is to avoid any Goodyear( Goodforayear/Junkyear )tire like you would avoid a letter contaminated with Anthrax. While they do have 1 or 2 "DECENT"( not good, great, amazing, etc... = DECENT )tires the overwhelming vast majority are JUNK! Especially their OE issues lines. If you do get a decent tire like the Fortera SilentArmor or TripleTred the price is so ridiculously high it is not worth it. There isn't an AS tire made by Goodyear that can outperform the top 2-3 tires in this list which can be had for a fraction of the cost. Actually, most of these tires will kick any Goodyear AT tire's rear end as well( at least the OE issues ones I suffered with ).

Disclamier - Not only am I a client but I am the President of the "I hate Goodyear tires" club.
LOL.gif

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
NHHEMI,

Nice post. As for the Michelin LTX M/S - they sell a lot of 'em here in Metro Detroit and they are listed on the Tirerack website. I just replaced my Firestone Destination LE (great tire!) with a set because Discount Tire was selling them at a great price plus there was a $70 rebate (which I received). They ordered mine (225/70-15)and it only took a day for them to arrive and they have a Jan '09 build date. So far I really like them.

Originally Posted By: cos
NHHEMI,

Nice post. As for the Michelin LTX M/S - they sell a lot of 'em here in Metro Detroit and they are listed on the Tirerack website. I just replaced my Firestone Destination LE (great tire!) with a set because Discount Tire was selling them at a great price plus there was a $70 rebate (which I received). They ordered mine (225/70-15)and it only took a day for them to arrive and they have a Jan '09 build date. So far I really like them.

The LTX M/S is still available just no longer in the P245/70R-17 size that the OP needs. Michelin only offers the LTX A/S in that size now. No clue why they chose to do this but that is what the situation is.

Those tires, in that specific size, were put on TONS of Dodge Rams alone never mind all the other vehicles that came with them in that size( 245/70R-17 is a popular size for trucks and SUV's )so you would think they would keep them available if they are keeping the line available.
21.gif
Sometimes you just have to go HUH? at what mfg's decide to do with certain things.
happy2.gif

That size in the M/S series is no longer shown on the mfg's web site, tirerack, discounttire, NTB, etc...( I checked around and it is GONE??? ). They only show it in the A/S line now. The OP may find some in the M/S at a tire store that are old stock but they are no longer making a P245/70R-17 in the LTX M/S.

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/light-truck/ltx-ms/

Last edited:
NHHEMI

Interesting.

I still can't believe I got a set of LTX for almost the same price as LEs and way less after the $70 mail-in-rebate. I don't know what's up with Discount Tire lately - they've been pushing Michelin and BFG h-a-r-d!

Originally Posted By: moklock
Destination LEs, they are a really good tire.

I agree that they are a good tire at good price. Two downfalls are the soft sidewalls, and the GF's fuel mileage went down 1 MPG on here onboard fuel computer. I feel this is the tires as the mileage went down as soon as the tires went on. But they do have very nice steering feel and very predictable from corner to corner. I guess that is worth the mileage hit.

sorry, my mistake i do have 245/70-17's
any way looks like firestone destination LE'S are the way to go .
A shop here in town has them !!
All four balanced and everything for $530.00
It's that a good price?

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Originally Posted By: moklock
Destination LEs, they are a really good tire.

I agree that they are a good tire at good price. Two downfalls are the soft sidewalls, and the GF's fuel mileage went down 1 MPG on here onboard fuel computer. I feel this is the tires as the mileage went down as soon as the tires went on. But they do have very nice steering feel and very predictable from corner to corner. I guess that is worth the mileage hit.

HMMM. I have never seen a MPG hit with them. I guess if you are going from another All Season tire with a very weak tread pattern( let's use the Goodyear Wrangler ST as an example )to the more aggressive LE's it might hit you some. I have always gone from All Terrains to the LE's so my MPG has gone up 1 MPG+.

Another possibility is the tires you replaced were so worn that going to the new LE's with some tread actually brought the MPG back to what it was originally. I have seen that. Any change in tire PSI?

Never had a sidewall issue with mine to this point anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back