Recognize this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car left the car show before I could get close enough to identify it. Does anyone recognize it?
[Linked Image]

DSC00513.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually more than one can think, back in the day. Also consider tax system and fuel economy...very important in Europe/France at that time. Not a lot of V8 and big 6 at that time.
The car was given for 130Km/h and 7L/100Km if I'm not mistaken, from memory.

But yes, too bad Panhard never had the money for developing a "double engine", a flat 4 of ~1.6L that would have put them in competition with more luxurious brands or models, maybe like Citroën DS (perhaps more the ID) ? And then one of the oldest, most prestigious French automaker disappeared. Swan's song.

Between 71 and 73, when I was a kid, my Dad did two "research" stays in Belgium, about nine months each. We lived in Brussels during each. I don't recall the Panhard specifically, though I think maybe I remember the form. I do remember a couple rides in the neighbor's "Deux Cheveaux," another of the two-cylinder "greats". Popsy, I'm sure you recall. Even looking back ~50 years and into childhood, I vaguely recall something that moved with the gusto of golf cart -- maybe. A close family friend drove a Simca -- which I remember making more noise than actual movement. Those were some seriously goofy cars. Looking at their pictures now is almost like looking at pics of prehistoric animals -- strange alien forms whose shapes and attachments don't really make sense. It's not hard, though, to see why the two-cylinder cars faded into extinction!

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Between 71 and 73, when I was a kid, my Dad did two "research" stays in Belgium, about nine months each. We lived in Brussels during each. I don't recall the Panhard specifically, though I think maybe I remember the form. I do remember a couple rides in the neighbor's "Deux Cheveaux," another of the two-cylinder "greats". Popsy, I'm sure you recall. Even looking back ~50 years and into childhood, I vaguely recall something that moved with the gusto of golf cart -- maybe. A close family friend drove a Simca -- which I remember making more noise than actual movement. Those were some seriously goofy cars. Looking at their pictures now is almost like looking at pics of prehistoric animals -- strange alien forms whose shapes and attachments don't really make sense. It's not hard, though, to see why the two-cylinder cars faded into extinction!

I get you! I have pictures of me somewhere in a Simca 1000...these look so outdated, really prehistoric...like most French stuff of that era.

The Deux chevaux too...remember one vividly, it was red. The noise especially, very peculiar. More noise than actual movement indeed! And the ride...springy springy, but still stuck to the road like a cockroach (for the whooping speed they were going).
Last 600cm3 ones were developing 35cv, which wasn't too bad. Unlike Panhard, Citroën had bigger flat 4, put in the GS...look at the GSA X3, something like 65hp, but boy it felt like a GTI at that time ! Then the time of French GTI came, with the Citroën AX sport, and of course the Peugeot 205 GTI.

To be honest I wanted an AX sport, to feel young again, going in that "rolling coffin" like back in the day. Ended up with a Fiat Barchetta instead...similar performances than the AX, but much more modern (fuel injection, more torque) and refined. Also convertible. But still feels like a rolling coffin when you push it
smile.gif

As for the twin cylinder, Fiat had a TwinAir in the 500, 85hp I think ? Sound is weird and the engine isn't for sure the smoothest. Like you said, no wonder two cylinder cars faded...

Thank you for the memories, and sorry to have derailed the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back