Recnt Revival of '00 Jeep GC 4.7 183k - Best Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! Just made my way over here after researching oils on the JeepForum, hope you guys can give me some advice on the best oils to use for my Jeep.

So, this is a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7L Engine it has 183,000 miles on the clock. The Jeep resides primarily in NYC and is used daily for short trips. I also use it as a 'first responder' on medical emergencies, so it is not frequent but does occur somewhat regularly where I will jump into my Jeep and drive off quite hard when the engine is still cold.

During the summer I make a 100 mile trek up to the Catskills and a 100 mile return trip plus some 100 miles while up there. This happens weekly and for approx 3 months from June through August.

I make the same trip throughout the winter albeit less frequently (once every 2 or 3 weeks) with the same amount of distances traveled.

Now about the Jeep. It has been sitting for nearly a year with minimal use - just starting it up and warming up every so often. The reason being that it had developed leaks out of the tranny that would drip on the exhaust. Due to lack of maintenance the transfer-case stretched a chain and blew a front drive shaft.

I recently completed a 'renovation' of the Jeep and brought it back to life. The engine seemed to be ok as the the transmission so I figured in my spare time it would be worth it.

Now there is a light tick-tick on start-up but I am told that it the exhaust manifold after popping off some bolts, I will service that in due time. But otherwise the engine sound ok, runs fine, and I don't foresee any problems - hopefully.

So in order to help prolong my Jeeps new lease on life I would like to get some suggestions on which oils to use. I have a local wal-mart that sells M1 HM, Rotella T5, Penzoil at really decent prices, and from my research I found that those are pretty recommended overall - but I was wondering what you guys would say as for my specific application.

I hope I included enough info, if anything is missing please let me know and thanks in advance for any advice!

Never start a vehicle that's been sitting unless you plan on driving it. Idling will not bring the oil up to temp and condensation will accumulate without being boiled off during normal operation. It will also cause fuel diluted oil. Don't start it unless you are going to drive it.
Any of the oils listed,in the proper viscosity will be fine in your jeep. I'm partial to pennzoil due to a few bad experiences with mobil but many here use mobil with no issues.
What kind of interval were you planning. A 5000 mike interval on conventional is easily achievable. If you wanted to use a synthetic then extend the interval.
I'm using pennzoil platinum in my hemi right now. Engine runs very quiet,I can hear the injectors pulse but no lifter clatter at all.
If you routinely see temps below 0 a 0w-xx would be beneficial to aid with cold starts,if it's warmer than that a 5w-xx should be fine.
There are many jeep owners in this forum so I expect they will be able to help you fine tune an oil choice and interval.

Until now I have done oil changes at those lube places at a 3k interval. But with this Jeep I plan on doing all the maintenance myself and a 5k or even 7,500 interval sounds nice.

Thanks for the tip on starting it up, I guess I wont be doing that anymore
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Webby88
Until now I have done oil changes at those lube places at a 3k interval. But with this Jeep I plan on doing all the maintenance myself and a 5k or even 7,500 interval sounds nice.

Thanks for the tip on starting it up, I guess I wont be doing that anymore
smile.gif

No problem. I used to do that exact same thing during the winter with my bikes and camaro years ago and over the winter the oil level would actually go up,with a very strong smell of fuel. I was younger and it was long before I was enlightened by the bitogers.
Turns out because the engine is cold there is blow by that sends fuel past the rings right into the crankcase. Positive sealing isn't achieved until an engine is up to operating temp,so I unknowingly kept feeding raw fuel into the oil and it never got hot enough to evaporate the build up.
Live and learn I guess

I would think something along the lines of Mobil 1 AFE 0-30 would fit nicely here. Even a 0-20 might work well in this application. If I remember right, those 4.7 have pretty high oil pressure and the future models use 5-20 from the factory, so a 0-20 might work well here. My next choice would probably be Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 or 5-20.

In my 00 4.7 I have run M1HM 5w-30 and it performed very good , I would consider that oil. The 4.7 is not a engine that likes thick oil a 30 weight is ideal.

Any name brand full syn in 5w30 at 5k-ish intervals should do you very well. The earlier 4.7's such as yours are not good candidates for extended OCI's.

If is was mine? Maxlife 5w30 which is a syn blend at 4-5k OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Webby88
I also use it as a 'first responder' on medical emergencies, so it is not frequent but does occur somewhat regularly where I will jump into my Jeep and drive off quite hard when the engine is still cold.

Given this I would go with a 0W, probably the M1 0W-30. You really want to get that oil flowing as quickly as possible in that situation. Otherwise I'd say just go with any good dino 5W-30 or maybe a HM like MaxLife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back